Chapter 39

3rd POV

Perseus tried to distract his mind from the figure in the woods but nothing was working. He and Hermione spoke about school, what book she was reading, and even interesting facts about Hogwarts that she read in Hogwarts: A History.

"Though it is never really discussed what magic makes the staircases move, we do know that it's truly powerful magic that could possibly come from the Headmasters or perhaps it is a spell that was created by the Founders themselves."

Perseus turned in right at that moment. All he heard was something about moving stairs and magic, his mind was still focused on his mot- no not mother. The figure who is definitely not his mother. Still, his brain managed to up with a debate.

"What if it's not a spell per say."

Hermione glanced at him from the corner of her eyes and shifted the few books in her free arm - her other arm still being linked with his. "Well how else would it work if not a spell?"

"Well from what I'm hearing about this school, it's not the people or things inside that make it magical. What if it's the building itself?"

Hermione just looked more confused. "Well what makes the building magic then? I don't think it just popped out of thin air."

He smirked. "Well how would you know? It very well could have before your Founders came across it. But that's not my theory. Now based on what we know so far, magic affects everything in the smallest ways. What if the school wasn't like it is now when they first created it? Let's say the stairs didn't move before, now when they first started teaching and had all these students performing magic here. What if that excess magic affected the building and gave it its own personality?"

Looking at her pensive face he backtracked. "Or not, it's just a theory."

She quickly shook her head. "It's a brilliant theory! You know, Perseus, you're actually much more intelligent then you let on. I mean no one I know could ever think up a random magical theory like that. You should start writing them down, once you get the hang of using a quill."

They approached the large doors of the Great Hall. "I'll never get used to a quill Hermione, never."

They stood by the entrance for a split second before Perseus gently handed her the books he carried. He smiled softly and gave her a quick 'see you later' before hurrying to the Ravenclaw table to eat lunch by himself as Luna (and μαγεία) had lunch at a later time.

Hermione was slightly confused as to why he rushed away from her, but then she turned to the Gryffindor table and saw Ron and Harry glaring at Perseus' back. Her eyes narrowed and she stomped over to them, slammed her books down and then picked one up to smack them on the shoulders with.

Groaning in lain, the boys glares shifted from Perseus to Hermione. "You need to stop being so obvious about your dislike for Perseus." Hermione stated firmly as she sat down.

Harry rolled his eyes. "Well you need to stop being so obvious about how you fancy him."

"I do not fancy him!" Hermione's mouth was agape. "He happens to be the only other person in this school who willingly carries an intellectual conversation with me!"

"She fancies him," Ron bitterly muttered to Harry.

She huffed and kicked him in the leg under the table, grinning slightly when he groaned in pain and glared at her. "He's actually quite nice once you get to know him a bit, though he does have a few secrets but I dont believe that he's dangerous. I have been attempting to get some information about his brother for Ginny, it hasn't been going very well. All I've learned is that he's really tall."