Chapter Twenty-Three~Practice

The Great War brought depression upon the realms. Much was destroyed as a result of the battle. Many lived in poverty for years. Though the war was nearly a thousand years ago, the stories have been passed on through the ages.

There was a jealous leader, Amaro. He was second in line for the throne of Fonsia after the death of his father, who was slain in battle. He was the oldest of five siblings. There was one boy and four girls after him. Amaro was the oldest, after him came Amaryllis, Allamanda, Azalea, and Aster.

The new king of Fonsia had everything he had ever hoped for. But, Amaro was greedy. He wanted more than what was available to him. He believed that each kingdom was more privileged than his own when it came to possessions and riches. He wasn't satisfied with his culture of the Keepers of the Spring. He wanted his people to have something more regal and worthy. Something powerful.

Amaro targeted the Winter Kingdom first. He threatened to wage war against King North unless he provided the Spring Keepers with more glory and riches. The people on earth appreciated the new-come Spring, but much more the initial, breath-taking beauty of Winter.

The Autumn and Summer kingdoms sided with North and the rest of Talvimora against the young, enraged king. A terrible battle took place that, in all reality, didn't need to happen at all. Thousands were killed in the outcome. Many suffered from physical, emotional and mental wounds that would never fully heal. The young Fonsian lord had no mercy upon the other realms. Countless people suffered that didn't need to. All because of a young, reckless king's jealous greed.

Amaro was slain in the battle, his younger sister stepping up to the throne after his death. Fonsia thrived under the rule of the tender-hearted Amaryllis and it will for many more years. It is awful how centuries-old unions can be so easily broken for such precarious reasons. Most often from something so insignificant that it should hardly even be considered a reason at all.

How true it is that an excessive amount of power leads to corruption of a leader and the suffering of a nation.

"You know, you never struck me as the reading type." Elodie turned as the voice entered the large library. She smiled as she caught sight of the person who belonged to it. Elodie chuckled and turned back to her book as she gently closed it.

"Yeah...funny how that works." She set the book to the side and rose from the sofa with a weary sigh. "I've done a lot more of it lately than I ever planned to." She turned towards North as he gave her that gentle smile that was ever-present when he was around her.

"I hope you feel comfortable here...with your new-found knowledge." Elodie smiled lightly and nodded. Talvimora was beginning to feel like home. She still missed her old one, however. She sighed, realizing that North could probably advise her well in her final decision, which was becoming increasingly more difficult to think about.

"What should I do? After the battle. If I survive the-"

"Whatever your heart desires," North cut in, not liking where she was going with that. It was all part of his little plan. She needed to believe in herself. There was a silence in which Elodie thought about what her heart truly desired.