Chapter Eleven~Game of Riddles

"She can do it. I know it." Amaryllis, who was the Queen of Fonsia, the Spring Kingdom, insisted intensely. Everyone who knew Amaryllis knew that she always looked for the good in others, even when there was barely any left. She had a way of seeing past the judgement. Beautiful inside and out, the young queen was a good ruler. Although, she often refused to take action and get done what needed to be done because of her kindness. She would accept no cruelty of any sort. Not towards the most wicked of beings.

"Even if she thought she could, she would lose faith in herself eventually. Everyone does it. When the time actually came to get the job done, the girl would back away and leave." Willow, the sassy, ornery, determined Queen of Caderena, differed from Amaryllis more than the other two leaders. She was tough-talking, making everything seem like a breeze if they would only let her do it. Deep underneath all that, she was caring and compassionate. She had a tender heart that was easily pulled when it came to those in need. She loved to get things done her way. The only right way. She was always busy, as Fall-Keepers usually were, so she rarely attended the leader council meetings that were most often held at Talvimora. Now, however, the winter months were settled on the earth and she had somewhat of a break.

"Amaryllis, it's time to face the facts," Augusto said casually, leaning back in his chair as he helped himself to yet another turkey leg. "The girl can't do this on her own. She'll need help."

"And she'll have it! Everyone will support her in this. North has gotten to know her rather well, I think." North looked up at his name and met the violet eyes of the golden-haired, Springland queen. She was the same size as the rest of them but, something about her made her seem small. It was her innocence. The innocence that only one from the land of the Spring-Keepers could possess. "Come on, back me up, North. You know as well as I how capable this girl is of defeating Darcelle."

I know that she is. She has a strong heart and a fast mind. She is completely capable of completing the task assigned her, he spoke in all their minds simultaneously. The plump Summer King shuddered as he lifted his goblet. He had always found the whole "telepathic" thing rather unsettling. Amaryllis gestured to North and looked to the other rulers with a "told-you-so" expression on her face.

"North, you need to remember. It isn't just the fate of your world that depends on her success. It's our worlds too. If Darcelle wins, her evil will spread and grow. There's nothing we can do to stop her if the girl isn't strong enough to kill her," the darker-skinned, wild-haired Autumn Queen put mildly, being timid and knowing of the past North had with Darcelle and how hesitant he would be about killing her. Her golden eyes always held pity for North. A strong king he was, but even the strong can be hurt. Willow knew this well.

At that moment, a young male servant entered the room and hurriedly approached the king.

"Sire, there is a situation. Your assistance is needed presently." North's dark brows furrowed with concern as he rose from his seat and swiftly followed the servant from the room.

"North? Where are you going?" Amaryllis called after him. She was quick to follow him, worried that something was wrong.

"You can't simply leave!" Augusto continued gruffly, the irritation evident in his low voice. He gave a heavy sigh and fell against the back of his chair.

North ignored them as he followed the servant down the vast corridor of his palace. Before they had even reached her room, North heard her screaming. There were those nightmares.

He paid no mind as Amaryllis caught up with him, wondering what the commotion was all about. North hurried through the door of Elodie's room to find her writhing around on the bed and screaming like she'd been shot. North's eyes filled with dread and, with a few quick strides, he was at her bedside. He sat down and rested his right hand on the mattress at the left side of her torso as she continued to toss and turn with violence. He shushed her softly, stoking her damp cheeks with the back of his left hand.

Calm down, Ellie. You must be calm now. It's me. I'm here. She slowed down as consciousness swept over her and she was fully awake.

"I-it was...awf-ful," she sputtered, her breaths coming in little, shuddering, spasm-like spurts. He looked down at her with concerned eyes, his calm mood bringing balance to her panicked one. "They k-killed them. They killed my whole...f-family. Right there. In front of me." North nodded with understanding as he lightly ran the backs of his fingers over her cheek and temple, continuing to shush her gently.

Amaryllis watched from the door, awed by what she saw. She didn't know North could care about someone like that. He seemed so cold, so distant most times. It was hard to believe that what she was seeing was real. He cared about the girl. It wasn't hard to tell.

Elodie gripped his forearm until her knuckles turned white. Her breath was still heavy as she began to calm herself down.

"Ellie," he whispered. She listened for every word like a child would. "Let's have a game of riddles." Elodie nodded. Anything to take her mind off of that horrid dream. "You will always find me in the past. I can be created in the present, but the future can never taint me. What am I?" 

Elodie focused fully on the riddle and donated all her remaining energy into trying to figure it out. Only one answer would come to her.

"History?" 

North smiled and nodded.

"Good. Do you have one?" 

Elodie thought for a moment. Her brothers often gave each other riddles when she was younger. There were so many that were passed between them. She had to remember at least one. Her eyes brightened when one returned to the front of her mind.

"I can move, yet I have no legs. My hunger is ferocious, yet I have no mouth. Fighting me is easier than killing me." 

North smiled, relieved that she was able to take her mind off of the dream.

"Fire," he answered. "I'm tall when I'm young and short when I'm old."

"A candle." 

Their little game continued until Elodie's eyes began to droop once more. Before long, she entered a peaceful sleep. The nightmares bothered her no longer that night.

Amaryllis made her way over to the girl. She looked so innocent. It seemed unfair to give her such a task as this. Although, if what she had been hearing was correct, she had accepted her challenge willingly.

She sat in the chair beside the girl's bed and reached over, resting a hand on her arm. She now slept peacefully, as if her nightmare had never even happened. Amaryllis looked up at North. He kept his eyes steadily on the young face of the girl. Something rested in his gaze that Amaryllis had never seen. Not for a very long time anyways. His eyes were half-lidded as he held the girl's hand, lightly brushing over the back of it with his thumb. It brought a smile to Amaryllis' face, seeing him like this. He seemed peaceful, contented. She had never seen him like that before.

"She'll be alright," Amaryllis assured, shifting her gaze from North to Elodie. "Those who venture into the dark forest have one nightmare for three nights. She'll be fine for tonight." 

North nodded but was reluctant in pulling himself away. He knew that he needed to though, he had things to tend to. Mostly convincing Augusto and Willow that Elodie could and would complete her task. He had not a doubt in his mind. The girl was more than capable.

Amaryllis gave Elodie a Fonsian blessing that was well-known by her people. It would ensure that Elodie slept peacefully for the remainder of the night and that she would be gifted with pleasant dreams. The blessing had been invented by the Felenin, the race of cat-like people who lived in the Fonsian woods. The blessing had to be spoken in the Felenin tongue, which Amaryllis had become fluent in since becoming Queen.

North and Amaryllis departed from Elodie's room and returned to the banquet hall, where their meeting was previously held and would then continue.