Chapter Six~Books and Weapons

Snow flurries blew around as Jack and Elodie slowly strolled through the sleeping village. It was late and everything seemed extra peaceful. No more bustling people or fierce storms. It was quiet and tranquil.

"I was meaning to tell you, Jack," Elodie began softly, watching her feet as they walked. "I've decided to stay after all. To help your people." Jack smiled. He wasn't surprised.

"I knew you would, Ellie." Ellie. Barely anyone called her that. Only her family. It was refreshing in a way. It was like herself and Jack had reached another level of their acquaintanceship. It was as if Jack calling her by her nickname had defined where they stood with each other somehow. Elodie was glad that she had a 'friend' in this world. She wouldn't want to figure it out alone. She brushed the matter aside. "You're not the type of person to leave us. I have faith in you." Elodie felt her cheeks grow warm.

"Thank you, Jack." They continued on in silence for a while. Eventually, Jack held out a hand, signalling for Elodie to halt. His eyes lifted to the sky. Elodie followed his gaze to see what he was looking at.

There, far above them in the company of the stars, a large group of Northern Lights danced across the skies. Elodie had seen northern lights. None were like this. They moved quickly and, at random, they would form into the shapes of people and literally dance across the heavens. Sometimes, they danced together, sometimes alone. Either way, they looked so beautiful. Elodie's eyes grew wide like they had when she watched Jack create designs on her window when she was younger.

"They're so beautiful," she whispered, awed by what she saw. Jack smiled and nodded, looking upon the night sky with wonder.

"It happens nearly every week. You came just in time." Elodie smiled. She had never experienced something like this in all her days. It outshone everything she had ever thought spectacular.

They continued walking, often glancing up at the colorful, luminous lights that layered the sky. Elodie remembered what she had wanted to ask Jack about. "Jack, do you know of any books I could read that would teach me more about your people and your...world? I honestly don't know anything and I feel like I should." Jack thought for a moment.

"I don't know of any. But I know where you could find some."

They switched directions and before long, they arrived at a large, stone building. It was rather old-fashioned looking. The word "Library" was painted in crimson lettering on the front. Elodie smiled as Jack opened the door for her and they both entered.

Elodie had never seen so many books. Every shelf reached the roof and they were all layered with books. There were ladder trolleys in front of the shelves that Elodie had never seen the likes of. In the corner, there was a large desk. An old man sat there, who appeared to be sleeping. There was a spiral staircase at the other end of the room. To think that it could lead to more books then what were already in front of her blew Elodie's mind.

"Let the search begin," Jack whispered, making sure not to wake the man at the desk. "Old Septimus would have a fit if he knew we were in here after closing time." Elodie wondered why he didn't just lock the doors. Perhaps everyone trusted each other here more than in her world. That must be nice.

For the following half-hour, Jack and Elodie searched tirelessly through the books. They found many that were sure to help Elodie become well-acquainted with this new place. 'The History of Talvimora', 'Leaders of Our World', 'Culture and Heritage of Talvimora', 'What All the Kingdoms Do', 'A Guide to Our Magical Abilities' and 'How We Affect Earth' were all part of her collection.

Elodie and Jack left the library hauling the books with them. They parted ways at the castle with a promise that Jack would be there the next day.

Elodie entered the palace, not surprised when all was quiet once again. She quickly found her room with only one wrong turn and shuffled the books under her bed, keeping 'The History of Talvimora' with her to read some of that night.

Elodie was sure it had been a couple of hours by the time she began nodding off. She was half-way through the book and was sure that she would finish it the following night. If things proceeded like this, she would be done all of them in no time at all.

Elodie blew out the candle at her bedside and for the first time in Talvimora, she fell fast asleep.

* * *

The following day, Elodie awoke early, anxious to continue reading. The history of Talvimora was actually rather interesting and the book that Elodie thought she would have the most trouble getting through captivated her and she was hardly able to put it down.

When she heard the eager knocking on her door that was sure to be Jack, she was nearly finished the book. Only a few sections to go and she would be educated enough about her new world to at least survive in it.

Elodie reluctantly set her book to the side and hurried around, readying herself with the clothes that had been provided for her. A simple, sky-blue dress and some black boots. Better than nothing. The obnoxious knocking continued as she attempted to do something with her hair.

"I'm coming, Jack! Hold on!" She laughed as she finally opened the door and stepped out into the hall.

Elodie and Jack's voices faded as they excitedly made their way down the hall and out the front doors of the palace.

At the other end of the hall, a cold king stood. He watched as they rounded the corner, out of sight. He elegantly glided into the girl's room as only he could, making not as sound and sending his robes billowing out behind him.

He slowly approached her bedside and smiled as he picked up the book from the small table beside her bed. 'The History of Talvimora'. It was endearing how hard she was trying to get acquainted with his kingdom. He only remembered one other who had done so. He wiped the painful memory from his mind as the smile disappeared. He gingerly set down the book and exited the room more quickly than he had entered.

Jack led Elodie through the town once more that morning.

"Where are we going?" Elodie asked, now more open-minded to what was around her.

"Someplace unlike any that you've ever seen," Jack replied with excitement. Elodie laughed.

"Everything here is unlike anywhere I've ever seen. How much more incredible does it get?"

Jack smiled as he continued to drag Elodie through the town.

Eventually, they made it to a building entitled 'Talvimora Weaponry'. Elodie's eyes widened. She could only imagine what kinds of amazing weapons they would have in a place like this.

Upon entering, Elodie was blown away for the thousandth time in the past two days. Before her eyes, she saw weapons similar to the ones in her world, only there was a small difference. Every weapon in the building was made partially or completely out of ice. There were bows and arrows, spears and swords, throwing knives, daggers, axes and a lot more.

Elodie was in awe as she ran her hand over what would normally be the wood of a bow but, in this case, was ice. Her lips parted at the smoothness of it.

"An ice bow," Jack explained. "It hits it's target every time. You'll never find anything like it." Elodie's eyes flickered to a quiver of arrows hanging on the wall beside the bow. "And ice arrows to go along. They kill on the first shot. These two combined are deadly as deadly comes." He gestured to the bow and quiver of arrows. The arrows were tipped with razor sharp ice.

They made their way through the room, Jack explaining what each weapon did while Elodie absorbed it all. What incredible things they were. There was only one question Elodie had.

"Why did you bring me here?" Elodie asked softly. Jack smiled as he flipped an ice sword around a few times in his hand.

"Because you...are going to use one of these to defeat Darcelle." Elodie's eyes widened at that.

"I...I am?" she asked nervously, realizing that she had never handled a weapon in her life. Jack nodded.

"Don't worry though. We'll get you well trained with them. Then, you'll be able to handle anything." Elodie nodded, still unconvinced, as the two left the building. Jack left Elodie to think about which weapon she would like to try out. The choice was pretty obvious for Elodie. The blades with which she would need lots of training with or the bow that never misses? She was certainly going with the latter.