Chapter Nineteen~Wolf Pack

Marcy took off through the woods at top speed but the wolf remained at her heels, sticking to her like a shadow. Elodie didn't hesitate. She whipped an arrow from her quiver, spun around, agressively pulled back her string and let the arrow go whizzing towards the wolf chasing Marcy. A whimper sounded as Marcy's attacker fell to the ground in a lifeless heap. Elodie spun around, her eyes wild with fury, and loaded another arrow. She swiftly pulled back her string and pointed her bow threateningly at each wolf.

"Who's next?!" she spat under her breath, her eyes dark with anger. The wolves snarled and tightened their jaws with intensity at the new threat.

"Ellie," Jack hissed. "Stop it." Elodie's eyes flickered up to the top of the snowy hill, detecting movement. A larger, black, menacing wolf appeared at the top of the hill, studying her with hostility as he too lowered his head and barred his teeth with aggression. A dark little smile appeared on Elodie's face as she pointed her bow at him.

"Alpha," she whispered. Just when she was about to release her grip on the string and nock, she was shoved from behind. She gritted her teeth and let the arrow fly anyway, not seeing where it landed.

"Come on, Ellie," Jack hissed, taking hold of her arm. "We have to run!" Before Elodie could protest, they were all running from the growling wolves. Their retreating figures set the wolves' predatory instincts on high. They leapt forward and took after their prey with agility and speed.

Lark grabbed Marcy's arm, confused as to why she was still lying on the ground and held tightly to her wrist as they sprinted through the woods, the cold air constantly being drawn into their lungs and released into the air in a puff of vapour. Marcy cried out as one nipped at her heels. If they hadn't intended to kill before, they sure did now.

Lark chucked one of her spare knives over her shoulder and it sank deep into the skull of one of the grey wolves. There were now six left. There was a golden-colored one with equally golden eyes, two more grey ones, a ginger-brown one, a white one and the dark alpha.

"We have no chance!" Elodie cried to Lark between panting breaths. Lark chucked her other spare knife over Elodie's head, hitting the golden wolf in the chest, right where her heart would be. She let out a howl of pain and slowed down before falling to the ground in a heap.

"I beg to differ," Lark replied, a smile growing onto her face. Elodie smiled and let out a laugh that was mostly fuelled by hysteria. Elodie remembered her own weapon and decided to use it in motion. She spun around while running and sent an arrow flying, scowling when it barely skimmed the grey wolf. She tried again, this time hitting the same wolf in the chest. He let out a whimper before falling as well. Now there were only four.

Just as Elodie got ready to let another arrow fly, the alpha let out a low howl. It was a command in the unreadable, wolven tongue. The remaining wolves fell away, retreating. They let out defeated growls, yips and howls as they disappeared into the woods.

The group collapsed in the snow in a tired heap.

"Pete's sake," Elodie breathed. "Why didn't we bring...horses or something?!"

Everyone lay in the snow and caught there breath while listening to the wolves' retreating howls.

"Congrats, everyone," Lark said tiredly. "We almost wiped out an entire pack today." The group groaned, seeing no need for celebration. Killing wasn't something any of them enjoyed. Even Lark didn't like it, as much as she wanted everyone to believe she did.

The Fonsian pulled herself to her feet and dusted the snow from her clothes. She offered Elodie a hand, which was gratefully accepted, and pulled her to her feet as well. Elodie dusted the snow from her hoodie as she let out a small sigh. She glanced at Lark, who's eyes were drawn to something on the ground. Elodie followed her alarmed gaze to the snow on the forest floor. There, mingled with the fresh-fallen snow, was blood, the red bitter and harsh against the familiar white. They followed the trail of blood to see that it had come from Marcy. Elodie let out small gasp as she fell to her knees beside the girl.