Chapter Seventeen~Suspicion

"Adele!" Elodie shot up in her bed as the lifeless face of the girl disappeared from her mind and her dark room was before her once again. It had been two days since she had been brought back to the palace. The grief hadn't subsided. Not even a little. She sighed and wiped the sweat from her forehead. She pulled her feet over the side of the bed and stood up, heading for the door. She didn't know where she was going but, she needed to be anywhere else but that room. It was dark and depressing. She needed warmth again. And she knew where to find it.

Elodie held the blanket tightly around her shoulders as she silently crept down the vast, empty hall. Torches made from ice hung on the walls, giving off the little light that filled the hall. The fire in the ice torches was different from other fire. It was cold fire, used only for light. The dancing flames gave off a white light instead of orange. Elodie had thought it quite odd how she could let her hand sit in a flame and feel no pain. Now, they were simply there for light and she was as used to them as light bulbs in her world.

Elodie easily slipped through the palace, knowing nearly every nook and cranny of the place by this time. She effortlessly found her way to the living quarters. It was a part of a castle where five rooms were connected to each other. They were used for relaxing and reading mostly. The walls were made of stone and the rooms were filled with bookshelves that Elodie hadn't discovered until recently. Jack had returned her books to the library for her once she had finished them. She now had three entire rooms full of books for her own entertainment. The other two rooms were decorated like a simple living room. Although, they looked a lot more rich in appearance.

A crimson rug was placed in front of a large, stone fireplace. A massive, velvet, red sofa sat in front of the fireplace with two matching armchairs on either side of it at a slight angle. Candles sat on tables around the room. They and the fireplace were the only light in the room. Apart from them, it was dark in many places. Elodie shuddered as she entered and headed over to the massive sofa. She wanted to be as close to the light as she could.

She sighed as she relaxed in her seat, taking in the warmth of the fire. It did help to ease her nerves. She closed her eyes and lay her head back against the back-rest of the sofa. She began to drift, her thoughts clearing from her mind for a moment. It was difficult to keep the image of Adele out of her mind. Eventually, she gave up trying to keep it away and let the child's smiling face to the front of her brain.

"I'm sorry, Adele," she whispered. It was barely audible. Her brows furrowed as tears formed under her closed eyelids. "I couldn't save you. If I could...go back, I would." She sighed as the tears slipped out from beneath her closed eyelids and slid down her cheeks. She relaxed her muscles again and let her worries escape her in a long, slow release of breath.

It was quickly drawn back in as an ice-cold hand delicately rested on her shoulder. Elodie's eyes snapped open and she leapt from the sofa, holding her hands out in front of her defensively. She sighed and lowered her hands when she saw him.

"Don't sneak up on me like that," she said, trying hard to keep the edge from her tone. It didn't work. North tilted his head, a little surprised by her bitter attitude. She shook her head and closed her eyes as she let out a weary sigh. "I'm sorry...I'm not really myself lately." North's eyes filled with understanding and pity.

"I know," he said in his usual, gentle tone. It seemed that she was the only one who got to hear it. He usually spoke coldly in other peoples' minds. She triggered kindness and compassion in him. His heart softened with her. He circled around the sofa to stand before her, she lifted her gaze to meet his. "I understand your feelings, Ellie." She shook her head and turned towards the fire. It was silent for a while as she crossed her arms over her chest and studied the flickering, orange flames.