Chapter Five~Jack's Family

Elodie didn't sleep a wink that night. She had far too much on her mind. All she could do was lay on her back, keep her hands folded over her stomach and stare at the ceiling. It was dark in her room. Only a candle flickered and danced in the corner on a little shelf.

Elodie sighed as she swung her legs over the side of the bed. She had always been curious when in new places. This strange palace was no exception. She could've explored her room further if she hadn't already discreetly studied every object or searched through every drawer. It was time to explore the rest of this place.

Elodie was cautious, even with her daring nature. She could be sneaky when she needed to be though. So, she began wandering the vast halls of the Talvimora Palace.

The halls were large and wide, allowing large groups of people to make their way down them when balls or festivals were held. The clear, glass-like floor was so smooth and polished that Elodie could see her reflection in it. The walls were made from the same material. Elodie wondered if it was actually ice. She remembered that no one could feel cold in this world. Cold seemed to be what they thrived on. They lived and breathed it.

Elodie carefully ran a hand over the smooth surface of one of the beautifully carved ice-sculptures in the hall. How intricate it was. She had seen ice sculptures back home but, this one was so good that it could come to life in a second.

Elodie felt her stomach drop with panic when she heard a soft footstep in another hall. She held her breath and her heart pounded in her ears. What should she do? She settled for dashing behind the ice sculpture and taking silent, shallow breaths while staying as still as possible.

"The days are changing. I can feel it." It was a man's voice. She didn't recognize it. It was very deep and warm sounding. There was a pause of silence. "You know as well as I that she will return before long. And with an army of those wicked spirits, no doubt." Again. Silence. "Are you sure this girl can accomplish this?" Elodie had a feeling the man meant her. "She's young and doesn't understand much of this world. For all we know, she may be weak enough to be swayed by the dark spirits as well. You know how easily people can be tempted in the dark forest." Elodie's curiosity got the best of her. She turned around just long enough to see anger flash in North's eyes as he turned to the shorter, stout man. She didn't linger long. She only looked long enough to see that the man had a short beard and that his skin shimmered with a golden light. He was wearing some sort of odd hat that was decorated with a bunch of tropical plants and fruits and he had what looked like a wooden staff in his hand.

Elodie silently prayed that they wouldn't continue walking and that they would remain in the little "intersection" between halls. There was silence for quite a spell. Just when Elodie was sure that they had left, the short man spoke again.

"If you are so sure about the girl. Then, I suppose she must be trained. Just remember North, what happens to the Condemned One depends on this foreign girl. And you mustn't have mercy on Darcelle. You must separate your past from the evil she's become. I'm afraid she is beyond saving, North." There was silence as the heavy footsteps that Elodie was sure belonged to the rounder man made their way down the hall, fading in volume. Elodie waited until she heard light footsteps following the heavy ones down the hall to come from her hiding place.

She took a deep breath, realizing that it was the first one she'd had in while. What had she just overheard? Who was that man talking to North? Whoever he was, he obviously had very little faith in her. It was in Elodie's spirit to prove people wrong when they assumed things about her. So, that is exactly what she would do.

Elodie quietly slipped back to her room that night. Not to sleep, but to think. If she was going to face this 'Darcelle', she would need to get aquainted with the customs of this place. She would need to know about it and how they handled things. She would have to ask Jack. Maybe he knew a place where she could get some books or he could tell her himself. Either way, she needed every question answered. After all, she was one of them, right?