01 | the criminal strikes again

Haeyoung's P.O.V.

"Good morning, everyone", Mr. Lee Jinki shouted to be heard over the murmurs which filled the room. "So, we have a new case going on... A man at his early thirties found dead at 5:30am this morning."

"Another one", Byulyi commented, whispering to me.

"His name was Shi Yangwon" Mr. Lee continued. "He was shot on the head and died on spot. Additionally, a calligraphic C has been engraved on the victim's chest. That is why we believe that the Criminal stroke again."

"I'm tired of that guy! All our cases are related to him lately! Can't he take a... break or something?" Yongsun spoke and I nodded in agreement.

Then, Mr. Lee started distributing the work we had to do. "Inspector Lee, find whatever you can about the victim and what he did yesterday. Inspector Ahn, search deeper and find more information about his job, personal life, habits... Inspector Chittaphon, inspect if there's anything about Shi Yangwon related to drugs. Take the new one with you", he said blankly, pointing at Lee Mark.

"My name is-"

"Don't bother telling him. He won't remember it anyways. Ever our names are noted on his notebook", Hyejin informed him.

"Inspectors Kim, Byun and Moon, you come with me to examine the crime scene. The rest of you, wait for now. Thank you for hearing me. Dismissed."

Me, Baekhyun and Byulyi followed Senior Inspector Lee outside the meeting room.

"Hey, Haeyoung! Wait!" I heard a familiar voice calling my name.

"Yes, Ten?"

His real name isn't Ten. That's his nickname. We call him that, because he has a very complex Thai name that no one can pronounce.

"Y-you left your mobile phone on the table", he smiled awkwardly.

My usual forgetful self.

"Oh! Thanks, Ten", I got it from his hands.

"Good luck, there".

"You too. See you around!"

"Y-yeah", he mumbled and left with quick steps.

This guy is such a sweetheart!

"Ten definitely has a thing for you, Haeyoung", Baekhyun said out of the blue, as we walked towards the exit.

"Stop talking nonsense, Baekhyun. And especially so loud!"

"He is right though. You can smell it from afar that Ten likes you", Byulyi agreed.

"Yeah, right..." I said carelessly while tying my hair up a little tighter.

The truth is... I know that Ten likes me and I like him too. But as a friend. And that's the problem. I don't wanna lose him. I don't wanna make it obvious that I'm aware of it, because things between us will get complicated and I really want to avoid that. So, I just play dumb.

We got into the patrol car, Baekhyun at the driver's seat, Inspector Lee at the passenger's seat and lastly, me and Byulyi at the back.

The drive to the crime scene seemed too long, boring and especially too awkward to bear. We were all completely silent. Mr. Lee Jinki isn't the most... emm... approachable and easy-going person. No one knows what to do when he's around.

Finally, we arrived at the location and I stretched my body lazily once I got out of the car.

"Come on, let's go", Baekhyun urged Byulyi and me to hurry while he was trying to catch up with Inspector Lee.

•°•

"Sometimes I wonder why I chose this job... It sometimes terrifies me, how cruel people can be..."

"I also wonder that too", my best friend, Wheein, mumbled while sipping her ramen.

"Don't talk while eating! You'll choke yourself!" I scolded her.

"Yes, Inspector Kim! Now, what was I talking about? Ah, yes! I also wonder that too. You should have listened to your brother and run your dad's company with him".

I rolled my eyes and smiled. "I know Jongin wants the best for me, but being a CEO really doesn't suit me... Too much fame".

"As if being a police officer suits you..." she scoffed.

"At least I enjoy my job... It just kinda scares me sometimes, that's all", I stated and continued eating up.

"Whatever..."

And I might have became an officer, because of Seoin's death...

•°•

"Jongin? Are you home?"

I took my shoes off and hanged my bag behind the door.

"I guess not..."

I entered his house and walked down the hallway. I opened his bedroom's door and shuffled around.

"There it is!" I said to myself as I grabbed the jacket I forgot here the other day.

I turned around towards the room's door, when I almost bumped on a tall figure standing behind me.

"Oh my! You scared the shit out of me!"

I hit my brother's chest with my fist, while he giggled and dried his hair with a tower.

"Why didn't you answer me when I asked you if you were here, huh?"

"I was in the shower, chill".

"I'm going home, okay?" I said as I made my way towards his apartment's main door.

"Have you eaten?" I heard him ask behind me.

"Yes", I simply answered.

"Do you want to drive you home?"

"No, it's okay", I grabbed the door handle. "I've called a taxi. Goodnight, Jongin".

"Goodnight! Be careful on your way, idiot!"

Why is he always saying that?! He's getting on my nerves for underestimating me.

"Yeah, I will, stupid ass..." I mumbled and shut the door.

•°•

??? P.O.V.

"They think that they can hurt me or even catch me... Fucking little brats", I said to Lucas through the phone. "What kind of... cops are there?"

"O-oh... They are the same, that asshole Lee Jinki, Byun Baekhyun, Moon Byulyi... Ah, there's another one too...A woman. I haven't seen her before, though. Let me see her ID card... Ughh, she's too far... Oh! Her name is Kim Haeyoung".

Kim Haeyoung? I swear I've heard this name before... The other sister of Kim Jongin? She's a cop? That's funny...

"Send me a photo of her".

"O-okay...", Lucas stuttered confused.

He sent me her photo. She was tying her hair up. She had beautiful features like her...

I want this girl. I want Kim Haeyoung.