•Sixteen•

Depuis le début

“Follow my steps,” Dio said, grinning at you. “If you can,”

“I’m going to kill you after this, Brando!” You exclaimed, making him laugh as he spun you in a circle. Your dress flowed in the air around you, and your hair fell to frame your face as Dio pulled you back towards him. The guests of the night cheered the both of you on, clapping in beat with the music that was being played. It brought a sense of excitement bursting through your body. 

“I believe you!” Dio called back, laughing as he said the words. Your smile never seemed to fade as the two of you glided around the room. In the corner of your eyes, you saw Kaliah standing beside George, both of them watching like proud parents. Dio smiled down at you as he pulled you close against his chest. His face grew closer to yours, and you felt yourself blush a deep crimson.

“Do you trust me, Y/n?”

The words made you feel an overwhelming sense of dread. You hated the question, no matter who’d it’d been from. When Elijah had asked you, you never gave him an answer, and you still haven’t and that was almost ten years ago when both of you were still kids. To say you had trust issues was an understatement. You never trusted anybody in fear that they may leave you behind or that the trust bond would be severed and you’d be left by yourself again. You hated the word trust, and you hated what came with it. Dio wasn’t a good person, but neither were you. Both of you had done bad things and bad decisions. Why would he ask you now? To throw you off guard? To trick you into saying yes blindly? Did you even trust Dio? 

You hated to say it, but you did. You trusted Dio. He was just like you, and you hadn’t realized it until this moment. If you truly didn’t trust Dio, his hands wouldn’t come close to you, and you wouldn’t be flush against his chest like this. You wouldn’t have drunk with him, you wouldn’t have relaxed around him, you wouldn’t have let yourself be so vulnerable around him--you wouldn’t have so close with him. You knew that this was a bad idea, but you couldn’t manage to lie, even if you’d done it all of your life. You couldn’t bring yourself to lie to Dio...not after he tried protecting you against Elijah, who was twice your size. 

“I...trust..you..” You muttered. 

Dio grinned widely. “Good,”

“What are you planning?” You asked worriedly, unable to hide the uneasiness in your voice. Dio placed his hand on your wrist and led your arm to rest around his neck and placed his hands on your lower back, and between your shoulder blades. 

You gasped and gripped the sleek fabric of his coat in your fists as Dio dipped you down in one swift motion. He watched as your eyes widened and gleamed as the lights shone down on them. You held onto him tightly, one arm around his neck and the other gripping his bicep that was around your waist. He looked at the fear in your eyes and realized that you thought he might drop you. You felt his hold on you get tighter. 

“Don’t worry,” He whispered, pushing a strand of hair away from the corner of your eye. 

“I’ve got you,”

During that moment, it was like everything else around you was standing still. The sounds of the laughter from the older guests, the ‘young love’ sayings, the coos, the music--you didn’t hear a word of it. It was like time had stopped.

But as Dio pulled you back up, and the trance-like state you were trapped in was broken, it was like all your senses came back to you at once. You quickly detached yourself from him and wished you had your cloak to hide under your hood. Dio smirked down at you. 

“Was that enough, or do you think we should do something else?” He asked, sweeping around you and placed his hands on your hips. You spun around quickly.