17. The Siege of the North

While Aang, Katara and Sokka enjoyed all the attention they got at dinner, I decided to take a stroll through the tribe. My job was to get Aang safely to the North Pole, and I did. I felt content but I wasn't at ease. I was sent away from here a few years ago and I will never forgive them for it.... Well, I'm sure I won't be here long anyway. The question is where I'll go up next.

I rubbed my hand together and brought them to my face, breathing steam in them to warm them up. I grunted when I looked around, literally everything was made out of ice. It's pretty impressive, but just not very... ideal. After my legs were freeing for walking round two hours, I returned to Aang, Katara and Sokka. They were already in bed when I stepped in the room. The fire was burning out and I quickly threw on some more wood and woke the fire. I sighed loudly and stepped into my fur bed.

When I woke up in the morning, Aang, Sokka and Katara had already left. I stretched and got up, trying to get some breakfast When I finished my bowl of rice, I went down to the training grounds to see Katara and Aang practicing their water bending.
On the way, I felt the eyes of the people burning in my back.

"That's the fire nation general's daughter." I heard them whispering against each other. Defeated I looked down and I was happy when I finally approached the training ground.

On my way there, Katara angrily stormed up to me. "Where were you?!" She asked angrily. "Sleeping in, why?!" I replied irritated, already regretting my decision to come have a look. Katara sighed. "I'm sorry," She said quietly and looked down, "Master Pakku won't teach me water bending because I'm a girl."

"Wait, what?" I replied, genuinely shocked, "why?"
"Women should learn how to heal, not fight." Katara replied quietly and sighed, "I guess I'm gonna make my way to class now." I turned around to say something, but I could not come up with any words. Angrily I made my way to the practicing grounds. "Hey Istari!" Aang said, waving at me.

I ignored him and made my way to Pakku. "Why won't you teach Katara?" I asked with gritted teeth.
"Because she's a woman." Pakku replied.

"Does that matter? She's the only waterbender of the Southern Watertribe left, a damn good one too." I replied seriously.
"We have different rules here." Pakku replied.
"Then change the rules, we are at war! We need every fighter we can get," I replied seriously. I looked up at him, "please."

Pakku frowned and shook his head. "You will not tell me what to do... You are not even from the water tribe. Because of your nation, we are at war! You are not welcome here!" Pakku said.

I clenched my fists and I felt them getting hotter and hotter. I took a deep breath and looked up to hm. "Yes, you made that clear last time," I said with gritted teeth, "I'll leave you to it then."

"Wait, Istari! Where are you going?" Aang asked worriedly. "I don't know Aang, I'm just gonna take a walk or whatever." I said with a sigh and walked away. Angrily I kicked against every pile of snow I could find. What am I doing here? They hate me, they don't want me. I should just leave....

I went to the bedroom and started to pack my bag. With tears in my eyes I sat down and wrote a note.

I don't know how to put this guys, but I wanna say I'm sorry.
I don't belong here, and people clearly don't want me to be here. And neither do I, honestly.
Aang, when you complete your training, meet me in Ba Sing Se. I know people there, I will try and find you a good earth bending master.

Katara, show Pakku what you've got. I am sure once he sees what you can, he'll teach you. He has to.
Sokka, she's beautiful... Go for it.

I love you guys, and I will see you soon.

Love,

Istari.