26. The Crossroads of Destiny

"Many times I've imagined myself here, at the threshold of the palace," Iroh said as we stepped out of the carriage in front of the palace. "But I always thought I'd be here as a conqueror. Instead, we are the king's personal guests, here to serve him tea. Destiny is a funny thing."

"It sure is, uncle." Zuko replied. While we moved on, I kept straightening my dress. For some reason I felt very nervous. We sat down in the palace and placed the tea on the table. We were left alone and there was no one to be seen. "What's taking so long?" Zuko asked irritated. "Maybe he overslept." Iroh replied. A few men walked in, they looked like soldiers. It was the Dai Li. "Something's not right." Zuko whispered.

"Well, well, it's tea time." I looked up and my mouth just fell open. "Azula!" Zuko said shocked and he stood up.
"Have you met the Dai Li? They are earth benders, but they have a killer instinct that's so Fire Nation." She said and she smirked. "I just love it."

Iroh and I exchanged looks and we stood up. "Dd you know how I gained my nickname the dragon of the west?" Iroh asked and he grabbed one of the cups of tea. "I'm not interested in a lengthy anecdote, uncle." Azula replied. "It's more of a demonstration, really." Iroh replied and he took a sip of the tea. The three of us stood back to back and Iroh demonstrated his dragon's breath of fire. Zuko and I shot waves of fire around and we managed to break out of the room. We ran through the hallway, followed by the Dai Li.

There was a wall that led to the outside. Iroh and I shot lightning towards it, and we broke free. It was only one-story drop that could have ended badly if it wasn't for the bushes. With a thud I landed in one of them, grunting loudly. "come on, you'll be fine!" Iroh yelled to Zuko, who was still standing on the first floor. "No, I'm tired of running. It's time I faced Azula." Zuko said and he turned around. "Come back, you idiot!" I shouted, but I didn't get any response.

I helped Iroh up and anxiously I looked around. "What do we do?!" I asked panicky. "Well, we are in the Upper Ring, maybe it's time we paid your friends a visit."Iroh said calmly. I nodded and we sneaked out of the palace. But before we did, we brought a friend. A very young and naïve guard.

"I have no idea where he lives though," I said when we were walking through the street. "Maybe we can ask someone." Iroh replied. I looked around and gasped out of relief. "No need for that." I said when I pointed to the window of one of the houses. It was Momo, enjoying a peach in the windowsill.

We ran up to the house and knocked on the door. Toph opened it. "Glad to see you are okay," She said with a smile, "hey, Istari!" She said and she ran up to me, hugging me. "Istari!" Aang said happily and he hugged me as well. "What are you still doing with him?" Sokka asked suspiciously while he hugged me. "We need your help." I said seriously.

"Wait," Aang said, "Toph, how do you know Iroh?"
"I met him in the woods once and I knocked him down. Then I gave him some tea and some very good advice." Toph said. "May I come in?" He asked. Momo flew up to me with my necklace. "Thanks." I said and I petted him. "How long have you been here?" Sokka asked. "Couple of weeks." I replied.
"Took you long enough to signal you were here." Sokka said angrily. "Well, I'm sorry, Sokka, but unlike you we were stuck in a dirty apartment in the Lower Ring!" I replied offended when putting my necklace back on.
"Sokka, she's here now," Aang said and he turned back to me and Iroh, "What are you two doing here?"
"Azula is here in Ba Sing Se," Iroh started.
"- Then she must have Katara!" Aang interrupted breathlessly. "Katara is missing?" I asked shocked. Sokka nodded. "She has captured my nephew, as well."

"Then we will work together to fight Azula and save Katara and Zuko." Aang said determined. "Whoa there," Sokka said, "you lost me at 'Zuko'."
"I know how you must feel about my nephew, but please believe when I tell you there's good inside him."
"It's true, Sokka." I agreed. Sokka didn't say anything. "Katara is in trouble," Aang said, "all of Ba Sing Se is in trouble. Working together is our best chance."
"Okay." Sokka said.