29: The Invasion

We were sitting together for a while, close to each other and mentally preparing for this day. Our team, Team Avatar, have been training and waiting for this day for over a year now. So much has changed since we found Aang in the iceberg. I have grown so much since, learned so much and I got a whole new family. Sometimes I wish that it wouldn't go so fast. Of course it was dangerous, being chased by several people, but traveling around the world with the gang was priceless. They made me forget the mess I was in before the South Pole. I finally felt welcome and I got accepted the way I am. But I guess after all this is over, it's time to say goodbye. My life will change after today, as will all our lives. But am I ready for it? No, not at all.

"Where is Sokka?" Aang asked after a while. I looked up and looked around and indeed there was no sign of Sokka. I was so zoned-out and occupied with my thoughts I didn't actually miss him from the start. "I'll go and look for him." I said and I stood up. I finally saw him, he was hiding by the cliffs. He looked sad at his helmet.

"Hey," I said when I walked up to him, "are you okay?"
"No," Sokka said quietly, "I messed up Iz."
"What are you talking about?" I asked, laying my hand on his shoulder. "The invasion plan was my moment of truth. And I completely flubbed it. I just fell apart."
"Come now, Sokka," I said, scoffing lightly, "that wasn't your moment of truth. That was public speaking, no one is good at that."

"My dad is, and you are. You performed when you came to us, right?"
"Singing silly songs and dancing is a lot different than explaining a war program." I said quickly. "My dad explained the plan perfectly and inspired everyone, like a real leader should." Sokka said=, looking at his feet.

"Everyone can say a well studied set of words, Sokka. Your moment of truth isn't in front of a map, it's out there on the battlefield. I heard you trained with Piandao, you're gonna rock this." I said, smiling and squeezing his shoulder.
"You know him?" Sokka asked confused. "Yeah, he trained Zuko on how to use his dual swords." I replied, shuddering slightly after saying that name.

"Huh, okay." Sokka replied sheepishly.
"Anyway, you have nothing to worry about." I said, forcing a smile.
"You seem so confident, how do you know we are gonna win?" Sokka asked, looking at me.

"Because we're Team Avatar, Sokka!" I said, using my last grain of confidence, "We have so many great people and warriors with us, it's gonna be alright."
"Thanks Iz," Sokka said with a smile, "you're right." He hugged me and I hugged him back, very tightly.

"Are you actually okay?" Sokka asked worriedly when I didn't want to let go of the hug. "No," I whispered, "no, I'm not."
"I know you always keep things to yourself, but you gotta talk to me Iz. What is it?"
"I wish I could tell you," I said, fighting the tears in my eyes, "maybe when this is all over, I will. I just really needed a hug."
"That's okay Iz," Sokka said, planting a kiss on the top of my head, "we'll stick together, whatever happens today."

"As much as I wanna join the hug, we gotta go," Aang yelled when he came up to us with his new glider, "the boats are leaving!" I let go of Sokka and smiled. "Okay, well, there we go." I said when walking down with Sokka to the boats. Aang got on Appa, who was in full armor. He couldn't get in the boat, so Aang would go with him underwater, providing him with oxygen.

My mom stood in front of the boat with a pile that looked like dark red fabric. "Here, put this on." She said when she pushed it into my hands. "What is it?" I asked, looking at it.

"My old gown! You need to put it on for your coronation. You can't walk into the Fire Nation with, whatever that is." She said when she looked like my dirty and rippped making-tea-for-the-earth-king-dress. "Let's see," she said when she grabbed it out of my hands, holding it in front of me. "Well, they are way too big for me now but I'm sure they'll suit you perfectly." She added, scanning me from top to bottom with a side-eye. Just trying to ignore what she said and to keep my cool I grabbed it out of her hands again. "Gee, thanks mom." I said awkwardly. She brought me onto one of the boats and put it on while we sailed towards the gates.