9. The Freedom Fighters.

It was early in the morning when we woke up. I heated up some water and boiled some rice. After our breakfast we cleaned everything up and sat down for a while to digest it in silence.
"Where's Momo?" Aang asked, waking us up from our daydreams.

"He was here a few minutes ago," I said when I looked around, "maybe he was chasing a bird or something." We stood up and decided to look for him. When we walked towards the road, we heard the sound of screeching animals. "Up there!" I said and I pointed to the top of the trees. There were three cages hanging down, with one of them containing Momo.

"Hang on Momo!" Aang said and he made his way up one tree and released Momo. When he got down, he heard the crying sounds of the two monkeys that were captured in the two other cages. "Alright." Aang said and he jumped up the tree. He was struggling with getting the rope loose. "Careful!" I said as I shot a thin line of fire up to the rope. It burned the rope through, and the cage fell down with a loud thud on the ground, breaking them apart. The monkeys escaped and quickly ran away.

"These are Fire Nation traps, you can tell from the metalwork." Sokka said when he examined the cages. "We'd better pack up camp and get moving." We agreed and started to pack up. We put everything in the saddle and we climbed in. "No," Sokka said, "no flying this time."

"Why not?" Aang asked confused. "Think about it: how does Prince Zuko and the Fire Nation keep finding us? It's because they spot Appa, he's too big and noticeable." Sokka said seriously. "What? Appa is not too noticeable." Katara replied with her hands resting on her hips. "He is a gigantic fluffy monster with an arrow on his head! It is kinda hard to miss him." Appa growled. "Sokka's just jealous because he doesn't have an arrow." Aang said when he petted Appa on the head. "Look, my instinct says we should better walk this time and play it safe." Sokka said airy.

"Who made you the boss? Katara asked with a raised eyebrow.
"I am not the boss I am the leader." Sokka replied.
Katara scoffed. "You are the leader? Your voice still cracks!"
"I-I-I do not crack!" Sokka replied.

"Aang should be the leader, because he is the Avatar." Katara said. "He is just some goofy kid." Sokka replied with a frown. "If anyone is the leader, it is Istari. She is the oldest." Aang said when he was handing upside down.
I smiled. "Okay, guys, we are a democratic group, we vote and decide together. But for now, let's just walk for a bit, I am sure it will be good for all of us to get some exercise."

~

"I hate walking!" Aang yelled miserably, "how can people live without a flying bison?"
"Well, I don't know, why don't you ask the rest of the world?" I replied annoyed.
"You can all be very tired but at least we do not run into the Fire Nation!" Sokka said and he disappeared into a bush. When we followed him, we walked straight into a Fire Nation camp.

"Run!" Sokka yelled and Aang, Katara and Sokka dropped their stuff to run. "Guys, we can take them!" I said and I started to fire bend. I looked back and saw Katara, Sokka and Aang blocked by a wall of fire. "Sokka!" Katara yelled panicky when she saw Sokka's arm on fire. Katara quickly bended some of her water and swiftly put out the fire. "Let us go and we promise not to hurt you!" Sokka said when we were surrounded.
"What?!" I said alarmed. The man approached but fell down immediately. "Wow... nice work Sokka." Aang said amazed, "how did you do it?"
Sokka shrugged. "Eh... instinct?" He replied. "Look!" Katara yelled and she pointed to a young man that stood on a branch of one of the tall trees. The young man jumped and grounded a few of the guards. "Down you go." He said and he winked. Katara's eyes started to shine brightly, Sokka and my eyebrow rose and Aang frowned deeply.

A few others came out of the trees and fought the Fire Nation. Sokka and I looked at each other and shrugged. We decided to join the fight. I did not fire bend but I managed to unnoticeably block the flames bare hand and kick the soldiers down.