37. A Royal Visit

After the play ended, the people were walking on the streets. Korin stood at the front of the door, leaning against the doorpost as she watched them. As soon as they passed her she smiled friendly, but no one would come in. The last performance of this season's Love Amongst the Dragons just ended and she waited patiently for the people to walk by.
"They say they spotted the Fire Lord and the Avatar here today."
"Why'd he be here? We haven't seen a Fire Lord here for more than 20 years!" A group of people said discussed as they walked by.

"Would you like a cup of tea?" Korin asked friendly. They stopped and looked at the broken sign, ugly interior and back to the young woman.
"Maybe next time, dear." One of them said before they continued their walk.
After everyone passed and a few more failed attempts, she slammed the door shut and walked to the cash register. She looked at the handful silver and copper pieces. "Well, at least enough for dinner." She mumbled to herself.

Korin put the coins in her pocket and went to the other room of the shop where she lived. The kids were playing contently, one of them waiting to be picked up. "Kiyi, pack your things, will you honey? Your parents will be here any minute." Korin asked as she started to clean up some toys. The other toddler cried as Kiyi picked up the rest, leaving her with nothing. Korin quickly planted another toy in the toddler's hand as she heard a knock on the door.

Korin opened it and saw her friend, the star of the play in front of her house. "Kiyi, your mother is here!" Korin shouted. Kiyi giggled with joy and fell into her mother's arms. "Thanks so much for keeping a eye on Kiyi, Korin." Noriko said when she put her daughter down.
"That's alright, I don't have much to do anyway." Korin replied sheepishly. "Well, its very much appreciated," Noriko said with a smile, "and we wanted to thank you for that." She said as she planted a coin purse in my hand.

"You already paid me last week, Noriko." Korin said as she held the purse in front of her.
"You deserve some extra, Korin." She replied.
"Oh, no, I couldn't take it. It's no big deal." Korin said, extending her hand to give it back.
"No, it's for you," Noriko said friendly, "you deserve it. You want to come have dinner with us? I made a roast duck this morning."
"Oh no, thank you, I'm not hungry." Korin replied airily.
Noriko sighed, looking at Korin's slender figure.

"Okay, maybe a little bit." Korin admitted shyly, "let me get Izzie." Korin walked inside and picked up her daughter. "Come on, Izzie, you can play more with Kiyi." The toddler giggled, swinging her doll up and down. They walked across the street to the house of Noriko and her husband Noren. The house wasn't big, but it was warm and cosy, much better than Korin's.

"Where is Noren?" Korin asked as she looked around. "Oh, he'll come in a bit. He was talking with a few people." Noriko replied.
Korin sat at the dining table, playing with Izzie and her doll. "They say the Fire Lord is on town along with the Avatar," Noriko said with a smile, "Can you believe it? Here? I wonder what they're doing here."

Korin shrugged. "Maybe they're just crossing."
"Yeah, most likely," Noriko mumbled, "they say the Fire lord's very handsome... and single. Maybe something for you, Korin."
Korin scoffed. "Yeah, sure," she grinned and sighed, "nah, I'm not very good with men. I don't even know who Izzie's father is... Most likely some douche."

Noriko smirked. Izzie yanked Korin's necklace, almost making her spill her sake. "Don't do that." Korin hissed to Izzie and she tucked it under her shirt.
Korin saw Noriko looking at it, wondering. "I know what you're thinking. Why not sell it?" Korin said.
Noriko shrugged. "It looks very expensive."
"I know," Korin replied, "but somehow it feels like its important to me, I don't know what it is."

The door opened and Noren walked in, followed by a few people. Korin and Noriko immediately stood up, bowing.
"Noren..."Noriko stuttered, looking at the Fire Lord and the Fire Nation Princess, "what a pleasant surprise."
"My Lord, my Princess." Korin said sheepishly, "oh and the Avatar."