2. The Southern Airtemple

I stared at my packed bag. It did not contain much, but it contained some valuable things that meant a lot to me. It contained my mother's necklace; a piece of jade, carved into a dragon, that dangled on a golden chain. I put it around my neck and picked up my old notebook. I opened it and went through it, looking at all the fire bending techniques I had learned from Iroh. It was terrible dusted, for it had not been picked up in years. The last important item was my father's old hunting knife. Katara walked into my tent just as I laid in back in the bag.

"Are you ready to go?" Katara asked. I looked back at her and nodded. "Yes I am." I replied and I swung her bag over my shoulder. I stepped out of the tent and took a deep breathe. Katara and I met Sokka in front of the boat, after Katara had finally convinced him.

"What are you three up to?" When we turned around, grandmother stood in front of us.

"Eh, nothing!" We all replied at the same time.
"Of course not...." Gran-gran replied with a smile, "but I thought you might need this." She gave Sokka a map with all the nations on it and three sleeping bags. "Thank you." He replied. She smiled and hugged her grandchildren. "You were ment to find the Avatar, so your journey has to continue with him." She said to Sokka and Katara.

"Istari..." She said when she hugged me. "I wish you all the luck in the world, please don't make the same mistakes as your mother did," then she whispered: "keep your firebending hidden."
I froze and my eyes widened, but when she let go, gran-gran smiled up at me. We all said goodbye and after agreeing we could not catchup on them in a canoe, we headed on to Appa. Eventually on Appa, the bison did not fly, but swam through the water.

"Come. Fly. Go." Sokka mumbled to Appa.
"Please Appa, fly. We need you, Aang needs you." Katara said while she stroked him. "Elevate. Rise." Sokka mumbled. "Sokka doesn't believe you can fly, but we do. Come on Appa, please." I said with a sigh.
"Exactly! Don't you wanna save Aang?" Katara asked Appa.

"What did Aang used to say?" Sokka asked," Ya Ya, Yee Yee, Yip Yip?" At that last Appa moaned and started to slam his giant tail on the water and he raised up. We were flying!!
"You did it Sokka, you did it!" Katara yelled happily.

"KATARA! ISTARI!! HE'S FLYING! HE'S FLYING! WOOOHOOO!" Sokka yelled and he turned around. "HE'S-" Sokka stopped and looked at the two, who were smirking broadly. "I mean... It's pretty impressive." He said cool. I laughed and shook my head. I put my arms on the edge of the saddle and watched the water as the wind blew in my face. I had closed my eyes but opened them again as Katara asked me the question I had expected to come.

"Are you afraid of Zuko?" Katara asked me. I nodded. "I just left him, without a word. He must be so angry with me. They must have told him what my father did." I said sadly and I hid my face in my hands.

"-Look!" Sokka yelled and pointed down. Below us was the Fire nation ship and on deck Zuko was fighting Aang. Aang's staff got blown away to the other side of deck Aang stood on the railing of the ship, but lost his balance, and fell over the railing. "AANG!!" Katara yelled. Katara kept yelling his name, half crying.

'Come on Aang, you can do it." I whispered. After a few horrifying seconds, Aang suddenly shot out of the water followed with a huge wave of water, following him.. He landed on the ship in front of Zuko and made a circle around him. He swept everyone against the railing and some of them even off the railing, into the water.

Amazed the three looked at Aang. "Did you see what he just did?!" Katara asked amazed. "That was some amazing Water Bending!" Sokka replied. Aang fell on deck, knock out. Appa landed on deck and they ran up to Aang and held him.

Aang opened his eyes and looked around him. "Hey Istari, hey Katara, hey Sokka... Good to see you." He said sleepily. "I could not give you all the glory." Sokka said jokingly. Aang smiled and looked around. "My staff..." He mumbled, looking at the stick that laid a few yards away.