19. the swamp

We were on our way to Ba Sing Se. I couldn't help but wonder if I'd have any family there. If they'd fled to the earth kingdom to escape Ozai's wrath. Would they be happy to see me? Or would they send me away as well?

"Hey, are you taking us down for a reason?" Sokka asked, breaking the silence and my daydreaming. "AANG! Why are we going down?" Sokka asked again when he hung over the saddle and looked down.

"Oh, sorry. I did not notice." Aang replied blankly. "Are you noticing now?" Sokka exclaimed. Aang frowned and I looked at him. He looked worried. "What is it, Aang?" I asked. "Is something wrong?" Katara asked and she laid her waterbending scroll down and walked up to the front of the saddle. "I know this sounds really weird but" Aang replied, "it looks like it's calling to me."

"Is it telling you where we can get something to eat?" Sokka asked, while his hand rested on his stomach.
"No...," Aang replied calmly, "but I think it wants us to land there."
"No offense to the swamp Aang," I said when I looked of the edge of the saddle, "but I don't see any spot to land, it is super thick."

"Like those legs." Sokka said when he smacked me on my thigh. "Auw!" I exclaimed and punched him on his arm before anxiously looking down on my thigh. "I don't know. Bumi said I've had to listen to the earth," Aang replied, "and now I am actually hearing the earth." Aang looked at me. "Do you want me to ignore it?" He asked. I exchanged looks with Katara and shrugged.

"It seems like it's an odd place." Katara said before I could answer anything.
"Okay, well if you guys don't want to, I guess we move on" Aang said disappointed, "Yip Yip."
Suddenly we heard a lot of noise behind us. I turned around and saw a huge tornado coming up to us, one that wasn't there a few seconds ago. "Could you throw in an extra Yip?! We gotta go!!" I yelled anxiously. Appa zigzagged through the sky. It was odd to see several trees flying through the sky.

One moment, Sokka elevated out of the saddle and Katara was just in time to grab his hand. I quickly got hold of Katara and held on to the saddle. Aang made a huge ball of wind around them, and Sokka managed to be pulled back into the saddle. We were inside tornado now, and Aang was slowly losing his power to keep us safe.

Aang stopped the bending, and we all got thrown out of the saddle. I landed in a tree and fell down through the branches. With a thud I landed in some dirty water. Sokka, Aang and Katara landed behind me. "Where are Appa and Momo?" Aang asked and he started to jumped up to a tree to overlook the swamp. I looked at Sokka and saw he had a leech stuck onto him. "Sokka you have an elbow leech." I said calmly when I pointed to it. "Where? Where?" He asked panicky. "An ELBOW leach." I repeated when I pointed to the enormous leech, almost the same size as Sokka's arm itself.

Sokka screamed and started to pull the leach hysterically. "WHY. DO. THINGS. KEEP. ATTACHING. TO. ME?!" He yelled and he succeeded to free himself from the leech and he threw it away. In the meantime Aang came back. "You couldn't find them?" Katara asked. "No, and the tornado... it just disappeared. Sokka slashed his way through the swamp. "We better speed things up." He said irritated. "Maybe we should be a little nicer to the swamp." Aang said carefully. Sokka immediately turned around and gave him 'the raised eyebrow'.

"Aang these are just plants. Do I have to say please and thank you every time I swing my machete back and forth?" Sokka asked. "Maybe we should listen to Aang. This place feels a bit... alive." Katara said.
"I am sure there are a lot of things that are alive here, but if we don't want to get up being eaten by them we need to find our animals as soon as we can." Sokka replied.

It started to get really, really foggy as we made our way through the swamp. Katara was yelling Appa and Momo's names
but of course it wasn't very successful. "We should make camp for the night." I said after feeling like we walked for hours. We walked passed a little lake, that was bubbling a little bit. "What's that?" Katara asked. "I don't know... swamp gas?" I replied when I was waving the horrid smell away.