22. Avalanche Rhino

"You guys picked a great campside, the grass is so soft." Toph said happily. "That's not grass, that's Appa's shedding." I said, plucking off the hairs of my trousers.

"Oh, eww." Katara exclaimed when her feet were covered with it. "It's not gross... It's just a part of spring, a sign of rebirth, flowers blooming and Appa gets a new coat." Aang said with a smile. "Ah, yes, the beauty of spring." Katara mumbled. After I made us some dinner, we decided to set up some tents.

Katara was a bit annoyed at Toph, who did not do anything. I mean, what could she do? No offense, but she's blind, she can't set up a tent on her own. Plus she's used to servants doing everything for her...

"So Toph... Usually when we set up a camp, we mostly divide the work that is left. One will go and find water, the other one wood, the other one food..." Katara said with gritted teeth.
"Don't worry about me, I am good to go." Toph replied.

"Is she always like that?" Toph asked me. I shrugged. "Just let her be, it'll blow over soon." I replied and yawned. "I am going to sleep. Goodnight."
"Goodnight." Toph replied and she walked away from the camp. She earthbended three big pieces of earth out of the ground, creating a tent.

After two hours, Toph shrugged me awake. "What is it?" I asked sleepy. "Something's approaching. It looks like an avalanche, but it isn't an avalanche." Toph said worriedly.

"Wake the others, I'll go and check it out." I said and stood up. Sleepily I made my way through the trees and saw it approaching. It was really, really fast and it looked like a huge metal rhino kind of thing. I did not know this kind of device, but I knew it was one of the latest Fire Nation inventions. I ran back to the group and who were already ready to leave in the saddle. "Appa, Yip Yip," I said and I took over the reins from Aang. "Try to sleep a bit more, I got it covered." I whispered to him.

He could just nod slowly before falling back into sleep.

-

The bags under my eyes were unreal, purple and most puffy. We landed somewhere further away and Toph jumped out of the saddle. "Land! Sweet land!" She said happily and walked away. "Okay, goodnight."

"Actually, could you help us unload?" Katara asked.
"Really? You need me to help you unload Sokka's funky-smelling sleeping bag?" Toph replied.
"Well, yeah," Katara replied less friendly, "that and everything else. Look, you are a part of our team now and-"
"- Look," Toph said and pointed and Katara, "I didn't help you to unload my stuff."
"That's not the point!" Katara replied annoyed, "Every since you joined us you have been nothing but unhelpful and selfish."
"Look, Sugar Queen, I gave up everything I had so I could help teach Aang earthbending, so don't call me selfish!" Toph said and with that she sat down and created a tent, with the door shut.

"Did you just slam the door in my face? You're so infuriating!" Katara yelled, knocking on the door.
I was watching the spectacle, slowly shaking my head. "Shouldn't we do something?" Aang asked me carefully.
"Nah, just watch the show." Sokka replied.

"Ugh, fine... I'll go." I mumbled annoyed and I walked up to Katara. "Ladies, you both need to calm down-"
"What?! I AM COMPLETELY CALM!" Katara yelled. I looked at her and turned around. "Uhuh, yeah, you're good." I said and quickly made my way back to the guys.

"Well, I'm right, right Istari?!" Katara asked when she angrily unfolded her sleeping bag.
"Yes, you are but-"
"- See? You hear that Toph?"
"But-"
- "You should get in here and help!" Katara yelled and turned back to me. "What did you want to say?"
I gaped at her and I turned around to try and get some sleep. "Never mind, goodnight." I said with gritted teeth and I laid down.