25. Metamorphosis

I woke up with a shock that went though my whole body. I looked around, startled and unsure about where I was. I looked down and saw that I was covered with blankets. I pushed them off me and immediately felt a chill running down my spine. I was still at the balcony. I probably fell asleep here. I looked up and saw that the sun was just coming up. I stood up and walked back into the apartment. I opened the bedroom door and saw that the bed was empty. No Zuko. I turned around and walked to the second bedroom that was also empty. No Iroh.

I walked over to Zuko's bedroom and went through his things. His Dao swords are missing.
Does this has to do with Appa? Is he looking for him? Why is Iroh gone as well? The more I thought about it, the more angry I got. On the other side, I had it coming for not being honest with him, but what else could I have done?

I made myself a cup of tea to calm down and put the chair in front of the door. After a while, I heard footsteps in the hallway and the door went open. Iroh and Zuko walked in, tired. Zuko was wearing a black suit, very similar to the one he wore when he helped Aang and I escape. "Where have you two been?" I asked angrily. "Out." Iroh said indifferently. I gaped at him and looked at Zuko, who was as pale as a ghost. "I don't feel right." He mumbled before he sank through his knees, knocking off a vase and collapsing on the ground. "Zuko!" Iroh and I yelled out and we ran up to him.

"He is burning up, we need to put him to bed." Iroh said worriedly. In silence we put Zuko to bed. I undressed him and let him sleep. He did not wake up in the meantime. I gathered his clothes together and noticed it was covered in thick white hairs. In his pocket I found a wanted poster for Appa. I grabbed it and walked out of the bedroom, towards Iroh, who was sitting at the table drinking his tea.

I laid down the poster in front of him and sat down in front of him. "What did he do to Appa?" I asked breathlessly, my voice trembling. "He set the bison free." Iroh said. I frowned and shook my head, I wasn't sure if I heard that right. "What?" I asked blankly.

"I followed him to Lake Laogai, where the bison was captured. I talked into him, and he set the bison free." Iroh replied.
"That's so... not Zuko, I mean, why would he do that?" I asked, confused.
"Maybe for you," Iroh said and he moved in his seat, "though he did not have much choice. I wouldn't have let him hurt the bison."

"Thank you. Though, it must have been the latter," I said quietly and sighed, looking at the door behind me. "I doubt he'd have done that for me, I lied to him." Iroh smiled faintly and grabbed my hand. "I know I said to you both that we can build a new life here... But you were right to try and contact the Avatar. And as soon as you get the chance, you should go to him, it is your destiny."

"I can't choose between Zuko and Aang, not anymore." I said, pulling my hand back, "For if I choose one, I will lose the other. It would break my heart... I know I should choose for Zuko, but I somehow feel responsible for my parents' mistakes, definitely my dads... By helping Aang, I feel like I can clear the family name... And I just like that kid so much, all of them are like family to me."

"It doesn't matter Istari, Zuko will eventually choose for you. What you choose however, is up to you," Iroh said seriously, "but you have to go back to the Avatar and teach him firebending," he took a break and smiled, "for if not you, who will?"

"You're wrong, he won't forgive me." I said determined. "Not until he finds out it's too late."
"He's going through a metamorphosis." Iroh said, looking at the bedroom door.
"This isn't a normal sickness he has, is it?" I asked Iroh. "No, it isn't." Iroh replied, "What he did was so against his nature, it effected his body."

"You two must go with me." I said seriously, "we are the only two he has left, if we both go, he'll join."
Iroh did not say anything, I saw that he was thinking. "I know you have a chance of building a new life here," I said, looking at him, "I believe that too and I want that as well. But the Fire Nation almost got into Ba Sing Se. It will only be a matter of time until they do. And if they do, then the city is lost, the Earth Kingdom will fall and then there will be no place left of us to hide."
"Yes, you are right." Iroh replied and he nodded in agreement, "but for now we must let Zuko rest, he needs to get it out of his system. We also need to wait for the right moment to do so."

"Sure, no problem," I said, sinking back into my chair. "I am very proud of you Istari," Iroh said and I looked up to him, "and with all my heart I wish to see you next to my nephew on the throne. I will do my best to help and realize that." I smiled and grabbed his hand again and squeezed it tightly. "Thank you, Uncle." I replied with a smile.

I let go of his hand and stood up. I walked into the bedroom where Zuko was sleeping. He was sweating terribly. I sat down next to him and soaked a piece of cloth in some water. I cleaned his face. "This should cool you down, my love." I whispered to him. Zuko opened his eyes and looked up at me. "So... thirsty." He said weakly. I laid the cloth down and reached for the spoon in the bucket. Zuko drank from it but slapped it out of my hand, grabbing the bucket, drinking and spilling everything out of it before throwing it to the side of the room. He laid down again and closed his eyes while he shivered.

"Do you want an extra blanket?" I asked quietly. "No." He replied weakly and coughed.
"Call me when you need anything." I replied and I stood up, walking out of the room. I closed the door behind me and stood with my back against, looking at Iroh. "Tell me he is going to be okay." I said, my voice trembling.
"He will, don't worry." Iroh replied with a sad smile.

~

The next day we moved into our new apartment. We got picked up with a carriage and Zuko slept through the entire trip. The apartment was beautiful. It was furnished and had the most beautiful on the city. It was simply perfect. Iroh and I were preparing breakfast that morning, Jook to be exact. Not my favorite, but its okay.

The door of Zuko's bedroom opened and he stepped out, dressed and freshened up. He walked up to me and hugged me from behind, planting a big kiss on my cheek. "Good morning, beautiful." He said with a smile. "Uh, Good morning." I replied, startled. "What's that smell?" He asked when he looked into the pot. "It's jook," Iroh said when he kept stirring, "I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like it."

Zuko bend over the pot and inhaled it's fumes. "Actually, it smells delicious," Zuko said and he grabbed my bowl, "I'd love a bowl uncle." Iroh looked at him, suspicious. "Now that your fever is gone, you seem different, somehow." Iroh said when he poured the jook in the bowl.

"It's a new day," Zuko said while he walked away with his bowl, "new apartment, new furniture. And today is the grand opening of your new tea shop. Things are looking up uncle." Iroh and I exchanged looks and smiled. We got paid in advance, and I went to the market to buy a nice dress for the occasion. And what an occasion it was. There were two ladies who welcomed the guests and showed them to the table, there was a boy who did the dishes while Iroh, Zuko and I were serving the customers and making conversations with them. During this time I forgot all my problems and I genuinely felt happy. Besides, it was even so busy I did not have time to think.

"You look so beautiful," Zuko said when he looked at my dress and earth kingdom make-up and hairstyle. "Green suits you." I kissed him and gave him a hug. "Thank you."I replied meaningfully and I blushed. I let him go and walked to the door to get some fresh air. I almost dropped a cup of tea out of my hand when I saw a very familiar face.

"Momo?" I asked shocked. The lemur landed on my shoulder and I smiled brightly. "How are you? How did you find me?" I asked when I stepped behind the door, out of Zuko's and Iroh's sight. I scratched him under his chin. "Its so good to see you, where's Aang?" I asked and I looked around. There was no sight of either of them. "They should know I'm here," I said while I unbuttoned the top of my dress and reached for my necklace. "Please don't lose this." I continued as I unlocked it and I gave the necklace to Momo. Momo slowly closed his eyes as a nod and flew away with the necklace in his hands, out of sight. I buttoned my dress again and walked back inside.

While we were scrubbing the tables and sweeping the floor, a messenger came in the shop. "A message from the Royal Palace." The man said and he handed over the piece of paper to Iroh before turning around and walking away. "Oh my, I can't believe it!! The King has invited us to serve him tea in the Royal Palace!" He said happily with tears of joy in his eyes. "Uncle that's amazing, congratulations!" I said happily, walking over him to look at the message. "Tomorrow nonetheless!" I said surprised. "Come, we need to pick out the finest tea!" He said and he grabbed my hand, hurrying to the kitchen.