Sixteen

"Jessamine? Jessamine!" I shouted down the corridor as I ran up the steps to my floor. I abandoned David down in the office. He would wake soon and I knew I was in trouble so I had to give my father no reason to hurt her to get to me.

I burst into my bedroom and was surprised to see her sitting upright in the middle of my floor with her legs crossed. There were candles lit up around her as the drapes blocked out the sun. Sweet incense burned by her making the room more breathable somehow. She was meditating.

"Shut the door and please sit Lucian."

"But we haven't the-"

"Time is of the essence, I know. We will be fine. Please, sit."

Knowing it would be useless and a waste of time to argue with her I obliged. I sighed heavily in frustration and with the book clutched to my chest, I sat opposite of her. Mimicking the way she sat I placed the leather bound book in my lap and I let her grab my hands.

"Close your eyes,"  she said quietly. I hesitated  taking in her beauty all over again. She looked rested and a lot stronger. Her hair was loose around her shoulders draping down past her waist. The thick black curtain reflected the light of the small flames scattered around the room.

I closed my eyes as she instructed me to. "Tell me exactly what happened."

I told her trying to keep the rage out of my voice from the way my father made me feel. She told me not to hold back my emotions and to address them. So I did.

I began my rambling of how disgraceful my father was. He was a sorry excuse for a father. I would not have to lie to him if only he'd been different. He was the cause of our recent conflicts with Rolon and he does not care. The only thing he cares about is his image and his own security.

His loving father act is a facade. Every time he has hit me, I lied to everyone who asked that I got the bruise or cut in training. He cares about nothing other than power and control. Whenever I have questioned him knowing what he was doing was wrong or not the best way, he would punish me out of spite. He hated being questioned or proven wrong because in his eyes he was perfect when no man was perfect! He was a coward who resorted to pitiful tactics to get what he wanted.

He was powerful and he knew it, but his power stems from a false identity to his people whom support their beloved King. He was a tyrant who did things behind the back of his people. I hated the man who shared my blood. I hated him now more than ever.

"He was not always this way Lucian."

"That does not change who he is now. I know my mother's disappearance has changed him because David has told me as much but when did that become an excuse for him to treat me like I was no better than another one of his minions. I'm his son for Gods sake!" I angrily wiped away a tear that had slipped down my cheek.

"You are and he is wrong for treating you that way. One day he will realize his wrong doing. What matters now is you. There are more important things that are going to happen. The issues with your family will only be a memory. I need to start preparing you for what is to come."

There was truth in her words and I felt anxious. "What will the Spirit do to me?" I asked suddenly really curious.

"It will emerge within you diminishing your free will. You will desire to do what the Great Spirit desires. It will speak to you and may even control you. Although you will not be in an unconscious state. You will be aware of what is going on."

"So I will be aware of what the Spirit is doing with my body but I may not be able to control what I do on my own accord?"

"Correct, but it will only be when the battle begins. Otherwise the Spirit will only suggest things to you."