Five

I reached out in utter shock to touch his extending hand. His face was contorted in one of confusion which mirrored my own expression. His eyes were the same green as my own and like mine they were tinging blue. Our hands were so close to touching I could feel his warmth. Just as our palms were centimeters from touching I was yanked away. Soft gentle hands cupped my face forcing my eyes to rest upon the most beautiful face I have ever known.

Kind gray eyes gleamed with delight to match a radiant smile. It was the girl from the arena I realized with surprise. I did not linger too long before ripping my gaze away from hers to look back at where the man stood behind me only to find him gone.

I whipped my head back around. "Did you see that?"

"See what?" She looked over my shoulder with amusement. I looked back one more time at the empty space behind me.

"Did you drink tonight? There was nothing or no one there." She laughed as she talked.

I turned back to face her and glared. "No I did not drink." I said offended.

Her smile dropped when she realized she offended me and touched my face sending shivers down my spine. "I apologize. I did not mean to make you mad."

"Don't worry about it." I grabbed her hand and pushed it away from my face. I began stomping away from her and the crowd to go home. I know what I saw, didn't I? It could have been an illusion, but someone had to have been there. There was no way I was hallucinating...or was there?

"Please do not be upset," the girl tugged on my arm before I could get very far. "I did not mean to offend you with what I said." Her voice was gentle and sincere.

I sighed and ran my hand through my hair as I looked over my shoulder. "I am not upset, what you said is forgotten." I kept walking dragging her with me but instead of leaving I led her farther away from the crowd back to my spot by the bar. She came willingly and sat next to me. We sat facing one another and I had to admire her beauty. Her hair was down flowing past her hips and up close I could see she had a few freckles sprinkled across her cheeks and nose, otherwise her skin was flawless. Her eyes sparkled and drew me in making me forget about the last 30 minutes of the evening.

She laid a hand lightly on my arm and looked at me. "I heard you were looking for me."

"Well when a beautiful woman has the gall to interrupt the training of the Kingdom's soldiers, many would wonder why." Her cheeks grew rosey, but she did not turn away so I continued. "Besides it gave me an excuse to talk to you. Something about you was different. You saw through me. Many cannot take the power of my gaze, but you could and it is as if you knew..." My voice trailed off. I did not want to admit nearly losing control.

"Knew what?" She asked.

"Nothing. Do not mind me. I am simply at a loss for rational words. Your beauty has turned me into a babbling dolt." I said with a light laugh, quickly changing my demeanor.

She smiled at me with a blush spreading across her cheeks again "Um well, I don't think we have been introduced properly. My name is Jessamine," she said with an extended hand.

"Lucian," I shook her hand firmly and smiled, "but you can call me Luke.

"Okay then Luke," she smiled.

"So what brings you here to this old tavern? Are you alone?"

She raised a brow at me. "I came to dinner with friend of mine. I had heard you were looking for me and when I saw you I just had to say hello."

"Well I hope your friend does not mind that I have stolen your company." I said with a smirk.

"Not at all. We came out here on a mission anyway," she said nonchalantly.