Six

I took my hand away and turned so he could not see the blush spreading across my cheeks. What was wrong with me? One minute I was insistent on staying as far away from Luke as possible, and the next I was wanting him to kiss me again. Shaking myself mentally I began walking the familiar path to my home without saying anything in response.

He followed in step beside me. Silence was our friend in that moment, but it wasn't awkward. I felt comforted and surprisingly secure. We connected tonight whether I like it or not. My grandmother was right about making contact with him; it heightened my awareness of him. I could feel every ounce of man that was Luke without him even being all that close to me. I had to wonder what I would feel if we were to....I caught myself and pushed the absurd thoughts out of my head.

"Are you okay Jessamine?" He touched my arm and I realized my heart was racing. His touch was a delicious fire I only wanted more of. What the hell was wrong with me?

"I uh yes I'm okay."

"Are you sure? You are pale."

"Yes," I stated firmly. "We are close to my home and there I can rest after I take care of you."

"Let me know if it gets worse okay?" The softness in his voice and the fact that he didn't press me surprised me.

"Okay," I said quietly just as my house came into view. It was a small old house that stood proudly, but definitely needed some work. The wood was chipping and the roof needed to be replaced soon. The cozy little porch my father had constructed was no longer safe to lounge under. The wood was rotting and creaked with every step you took to get to the door.

"Come in and make yourself comfortable," I said to Luke after unlocking the door and stepping inside. Candles were lit which meant my brother was home. "Matthew I'm home!"

"Okay. I'll be in my room reading if you need me," he called out.

Luke was by the door still taking off his boots so I went to the wash room to grab gauze, water, and a balm to put on his lip. I returned to the living room to find him sitting on the old loveseat against the far wall. His eyes were trained on me as soon as I stepped into the room. They followed me until I was sitting next to him. We turned so we could face one another. I got right to work wetting the gauze and dabbing the blood away.

"Who's Matthew?" He inquired all of a sudden.

I laughed softly and shook my head. "He's my brother. I'm sorry I forgot to warn you that he might be here."

"Oh okay. Then who is Dale?" I knew that question had to be answered, but I couldn't help feeling like I had just been slapped.

Dale...what was I going to do about him? Dale was a warrior, just like all the others. I grew up with him and he developed feelings for me in our early adolescence. He told me a few months ago and I gave him a chance. Because of our duty to the clan and the Great Spirits, it just seemed impossible though. There often is not time to be a young couple. The thought saddened me but our duties come first.

My smile dropped and I busied myself in cleaning the blood off his chin because I did not want to answer right away. Dale had been with me for a few months now, but for weeks I have felt something off about him. I felt incomplete around him too. I didn't know what to make of it and often ignored the feeling, but there was no ignoring it now.

"I assume he's your man considering he told me not to touch his woman." Luke cast his eyes down and I could see he was struggling with something. His handsome features darkened and the strong line of his jaw tightened. He was upset. I cupped his face and made him look at me. There was blue tinging his green irisis.