XIV. Empty Wallets

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

EMPTY WALLETS — 5 SECONDS OF SUMMER Living our livesDancing on empty walletsSpend it all on you

Living our lives
Dancing on empty wallets
Spend it all on you

THURSDAY CAME QUICKER than the band anticipated and though they were confident in their talent, they still wished that they had another chance to rehearse. After the success of their first performance, their second came without any time to prepare. Not that they were complaining, they were grateful that Sonny had decided to give them a chance, it's just that having a second gig so soon after the first caused them to put a lot of pressure on themselves. It didn't help that they all invited their parents to watch.

Olivia had felt nauseous all day. She wasn't as nervous as she was for the halloween dance, slightly eased by the fact that people actually enjoyed their music, but that didn't mean she was cured of all anxiety. On the way to the diner, Sylvia had to pull over onto the side of the road so she could throw up.

When the Montez's arrived at the diner, Olivia headed straight to the washroom to freshen up and calm herself down while Mikey skipped over to where Luke, Bobby, and Reggie were setting up their stuff.

There was silence between the three as they uncoiled their amp cords. Each of them were lost in their thoughts. Luke was worried about impressing his parents, Bobby was angry that his dad couldn't come because he had a date with Jenny, and Reggie was wishing that his parents weren't on a business trip right now. (Whenever his dad went on a business trip, his mother tagged along. Probably because she didn't trust him.)

When the group of three noticed the twelve year old watching them, they nudged each other and beckoned him forward. "Hey, Mikey," Luke greeted with a smile.

Reggie and Bobby nodded at him. "Hey, bud."

"Can I help?" Mikey asked, pointing to the cables in Luke's hand. The boy didn't know this, but Olivia had mentioned his love for audio and visual technology related things to her band. It was a passing topic in conversation, but Luke remembered and handed him the cord he was holding.

Bobby looked around the restaurant and failed to spot their lead singer. "Where's Olivia?"

"She's in the washroom," Mikey stated, plugging something into the nearby soundboard, "she threw up on the way here."

The boys stared at each other before Reggie and Bobby put their fists up for a game of rock-paper-scissors. Luke gave them a look before shaking his head. "I'll go check on her." He started talking towards the washrooms before stopping just off stage. "Can you ask Sonny for a bucket?"

"For what?" Reggie asked, tilting his head to the side. "Oh! For Olivia! Just in case, she... Yeah, yeah, I got this, you go get her."

Luke rolled his eyes and walked away in the direction of the washrooms. He passed Alex who had just arrived with his family and quickly explained what he was up to. Alex asked if he needed help, but he waved him off with the claim that he'd have Olivia out in less than five minutes.