XI. Dinner with the Pattersons

CHAPTER ELEVEN

SWEET CREATURE — HARRY STYLES I always think about you and how we don't speak enough

I always think about you and how we don't speak enough

NOVEMBER, 1993.
TWENTY MONTHS BEFORE.

RIDING THE HIGH of their first performance, the members of Sunset Curve decided that they didn't want to stop. They wanted more gigs. The moment they stepped off the stage, they were already talking about their second performance. This conversation of a non-existent performance lead the band to the realization that if they wanted to make it big, then they would need more songs. Thus leading Olivia to walk up the Patterson's driveway on Sunday afternoon.

The front door swung open and Luke smiled in greeting, hiding any nervousness he felt as he waited for her to show up. "Hey, trouble."

"Hi, headache," Olivia responded, tilting her head to the side. For once, Luke was wearing a shirt with sleeves on it.

"Headache?" He chuckled, mirroring her actions. 

Olivia shrugged with a teasing grin. "You're the reason for most of mine so I thought it was fitting."

"Ouch." He placed his hand over his heart before stepping aside to make room for her to pass. "Come on in."

The Patterson residence was a one level house straight out of an 80's home decor magazine. The front door opened into a long hallway, the lower half lined with wood paneling and the upper half littered with picture frames. To the left of the door was the living room. There was grey settee and its matching chairs sitting in front of a fire place whose mantel was also covered in pictures of the family. If Olivia had to describe the home in one word, it would be just that—a home.

Luke lead her through the living room and into the kitchen where a woman with long brown hair was standing over the stove. At the sound of footsteps, she turned. Her smile was the first thing Olivia noticed about the woman. It was identical to Luke's.

"Mom, this is Olivia," Luke introduced, stopping on the other side of the kitchen island.

Olivia stepped out from behind him and smiled. "Hi, Mrs. Patterson," she said, nervously playing with the notebook in her hands. "It's lovely to meet you."

Mrs. Patterson threw the tower she was holding over her shoulder and she leaned over the counter, sticking her hand out for Olivia to shake. "Hello, sweetheart. Please, call me Emily." Their hands joined and she gave Olivia the most welcoming smile she had ever seen. "You were right," she whispered obviously, turning to her son with a knowing look, "she is very pretty."

"Mom—" Luke sighed, ignoring the small giggle the two women shared over his embarrassment. He turned and nudged Olivia in the direction of the sliding doors that led out to the back of the house. "We're gonna hang out in the backyard."