XXVI. Safety Pin

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

SAFETY PIN — 5 SECONDS OF SUMMERWe'll safety pin the pieces of our broken hearts back together Patching up all the holes until we both feel much better

We'll safety pin the pieces of our broken hearts back together
Patching up all the holes until we both feel much better

AFTER THEIR LITTLE driving lesson, the boys took Olivia to Lucky Strike, a bowling alley just off of Hollywood Boulevard. They proposed a friendly competition where the losers would have to be the winner's roadies for all their gigs for the next month. Olivia proved victorious, but if you asked her, they let her win because it was her birthday.

After multiple reassurances that she won fair and square, Olivia was then taken to the pier where they grabbed junk food and sang a few songs for a small crowd of people. They finished the day at Sunset Curve, watching the beach below them and coming up with stories for all the people unknowingly living their lives.

They sat on the hood of Reggie's car, passing a box of Sour Patch Kids between them as the sun started to set.

"How do you think Bobby's date is going?" Olivia wondered, chewing on the candy.

Luke glanced at her. "Why? You jealous?"

"As if," she scoffed. "You and I both know he'll take it out on us if it goes bad."

He contemplated her words. "Yeah, you're right." He took the box of candy out of Alex's hands and shrugged. "Allie seems to like him, though. I don't think I can handle another three months of him talking about her."

"You can't blame him," Reggie said, leaning back onto the car. "He's crushing. You can't tell me you don't get annoying when you have a crush."

"Luke's always annoying," Alex said, sharing a knowing look with him.

Olivia saw the exchange and felt a pang in her heart, but she pushed away her jealousy and turned to the boy beside her with a smirk. "Does Luke have a crush?" she teased, bumping her shoulder with Luke's.

Luke furrowed his brows and shook his head. "What? No, I don't have a crush."

Olivia was unconvinced but nodded anyways. "Alright."

"Olivia..." Luke warned after catching her sly expression. "I seriously don't have a crush on anyone."

"Luke..." She returned in a mocking tone. "I seriously don't believe you."

"Neither do I," Alex added.

Reggie shot the guitarist a look. "Me neither."

"Thanks, guys." Luke's eyes roamed the beach below them for an escape out of the conversation. Luckily for him, a surfer was on the cusp of a big swell. He pointed it out and smiled triumphantly when Alex and Reggie started talking about their surfing experiences (or lack of).