XLIX. Because I Love You

CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

LUCKY ONES — LANA DEL REYEvery now and then, the stars alignBoy and girl meet by the great designCould it be that you and me are the lucky ones?

Every now and then, the stars align
Boy and girl meet by the great design
Could it be that you and me are the lucky ones?

CHRISTA'S GRADUATION PARTY was perhaps the biggest party she's ever thrown. Everyone from the cheer team to the drama club was here, hoping to fulfill their high school fantasies one last time.

The second Sunset Curve stepped through the threshold of the house, they were greeted like hometown heroes and drinks were thrust into their hands. Olivia, who was the designated driver, passed hers to Bobby and he gladly downed it in one gulp.

Two hours later, Luke was still sober, but Bobby and Reggie were cross-faded and Alex was so drunk he started table top dancing again. They were celebrating, Olivia supposed.

She was searching for a non-alcoholic drink when she found herself in the kitchen talking to Christa.

"The fucking Orpheum." Christa let out a laugh of disbelief as she opened the fridge and passed Olivia a can of Arizona Tea. "You've gotta be shitting me."

Olivia shook her head with a grin. "I'm one hundred and ten percent serious. I got the call today."

"Holy crap!" Christa exclaimed, excitement in her voice. "You know what that means right?"

Olivia opened the can and nodded, but Christa continued anyways.

"You guys are going to be famous! Name one band that played at the Orpheum and didn't blow up. Oh wait, you can't. How does it feel to be on the cusp of everything you've ever wanted?"

"I feel like I'm in a dream," Olivia mused, taking a sip of her drink. Suddenly she felt a pinch on her arm. "Ow!"

"Feel that? Definitely not a dream." Christa's expression turned serious and she stepped closer so her words wouldn't get lost in the sound of the party. "I know I shit on your band when you first started out, but you guys are good. You deserve this."

"Thanks, Chris." Olivia gave her a small smile. "I'm sorry Harmony Lane didn't work out."

Her sister waved a dismissive hand. "It's alright. We were bound to end eventually, especially after Jason and Megan started messing around with each other."

"Speaking of Jason, is he here?" She looked around the party nervously, replaying their last encounter in her mind.

Christa shook her head. "No, I paid some of the football guys to make sure he doesn't get in."

"Smart."

"Mhm." Christa poured herself another cup of cheap beer. "So, where's your little boy toy?"

Olivia shrugged and looked out into the living room. In the distance, she could see Alex standing on the coffee table. "Probably with the rest of the band."