XXXII. Baby Faced Twenty-One Year Olds

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

3 NIGHTS — DOMINIC FIKEAnd I'm too far gone in all the wrong waysAnd now every long day is a bad one

And I'm too far gone in all the wrong ways
And now every long day is a bad one

JUNE, 1994.
THIRTEEN MONTHS BEFORE.

DESPITE THEIR NEAR kiss ending on a semi-awkward but lighthearted note, Olivia and Luke had barely spoken to each other since. Olivia couldn't look him in the eye after that fateful day in his backyard and took to avoiding him like he was the plague. He didn't deserve it, but Olivia knew that the next time they had a serious conversation, her feelings would spill out and there'd be no going back. She didn't want that to happen until she spoke with the rest of the band, so avoiding him seemed to be the most logical thing to do.

Luke, on the other hand, was slightly confused and a bit irritated. He thought things between them would go back to normal like they always did when they danced across the line separating friendship and romance. But at the following band rehearsal, she shut down every conversation he started with her and tried not to laugh at his jokes. He was fine with the rejection, he just wished that she'd talk to him.

The rift in their friendship didn't go undetected by the rest of their friends. At first, they didn't think much of it. Olivia and Luke couldn't go long without speaking to each other and they'd probably be back to their usual shenanigans by the end of the next day.

Except they weren't.

Things weren't okay between them for three weeks.

Sunday lunch at the Patterson's were avoided with sorry excuses, leaving Sylvia and Mikey to go on without her, and band practices turned tense, leading to the exact outcome Olivia was so afraid of.

Halfway through the third week of Olivia's solitary phase, Sunset Cuve found themselves sitting in the cafeteria of their school waiting for her to join them.

Reggie watched as Olivia struck up a conversation with Allie Nichols on the other side of the room. He looked to his friends with furrowed brows as soon as Olivia sat down at another table, not sparing a glance towards her friends. "Is it just me or has Olivia been acting weird lately?"

Bobby nodded immediately, his eyes trained on the girl sitting next to his girlfriend. "By weird do you mean avoiding us for three weeks?"

Alex huffed. "She's not avoiding us," he said, tilting his head at the boy beside him, "she's avoiding Luke."

"Why?" Reggie asked, intrigued by the drama. He knew that the pair wasn't as close as before and he'd love to know exactly why that was.

"Yeah, Romeo," Bobby added, leaning across the table and narrowing his eyes, "what did you do to her?"