[17.8]

"brendon! ryan! welcome back!" william grinned as dallon led both ryan and i to the backyard.

"yeah, thanks!" i smiled back. dallon, ryan, and i joined the others around the fire pit.

     "we actually just started playing truth or dare before you came back— pete's idea. wanna join?" gabe asked.

     "i don't see why not. what about you, brendon?" ryan looked over to me.

     "sure, i'll join." i nodded and looked over to pete. "is he starting?"

     "yeah, i am. okay, uh, patrick! truth or dare?" pete immediately pointed to the boy next to him.

     "you know i'm gonna pick truth," patrick chuckled.

     "you're right, you're right. is it true that i'm your best friend ever?" pete put on a cheesy grin. patrick rolled his eyes with a small grin.

     "yes, pete. it's true that you're my best friend ever," patrick said with a slightly monotone voice. pete laughed and patrick looked around at us.

     "gabe, truth or dare?"

     "dare."

     patrick stared at the ground in thought.

     "yeah, i don't know what to say." patrick shrugged.

     "tell him to take his shirt off," william told him, which earned a couple laughs from all of us.

     "fine, whatever. gabe, i dare you to take your shirt off or something, i don't know." patrick shook his head. gabe shrugged and did as he was told.

     "does william have a thing for gabe or something?" i whispered to ryan. ryan looked over to me and smiled, pressing a finger to his lips.

     "pete wentz picking truth?! that's something i never thought i'd hear. anyways, is it true that you and mikey were basically sucking each other's faces in the bathroom during study hall on tuesday?" gabe asked. all of us went wide-eyed.

     "dude, that's so specific," i muttered.

     "yeah, and i wonder why," pete trailed off, "no response."

     "you can't do that!" gabe said. pete threw a pack of graham crackers at him.

     "you're just jealous that i can actually pull in cute guys," pete stated. i looked over to william, who looked like he had something to say, but didn't speak. "actually, you're jealous because mikey is literally the best guy out there and you don't even have a chance with a guy. sucks to suck, i guess." pete shrugged.

     "fuck off, dude. just watch, i'll find a boyfriend by the end of this week." gabe pointed at pete.

     "aw, is it gonna be like a middle school relationship where you say 'happy one hour anniversary' to someone you don't care about?" pete teased. gabe rolled his eyes.

     "i have someone in mind." gabe folded his arms over his chest.

     "ooh, gabe has a crush? do tell." pete raised an eyebrow.

     "shut up and take your turn already." gabe narrowed his eyes.

     "okay, sorry, sorry." pete scanned the circle. "hey dallon! what's up?" he asked. dallon tilted his head.

    "um, just sitting." dallon shrugged.

     "cool, so, truth or dare?" pete rested his head in the palm of his hand.

     "truth, i guess," dallon responded.

     "alright..." pete trailed off and looked up in thought. "oh! since we're on the topic of dumb little crushes, do you have feelings for anyone? if so, you should tell us." pete grinned.

     i immediately turned to face dallon. dallon looked at me and shook his head, trying to tell me that it's fine.

     "yeah, i do." dallon nodded.

     "who?"

     dallon kept his mouth shut.

     "is it brendon? i bet it's brendon." my eyes went wide when i heard pete say that and i immediately started to feel bad. for him and for ryan. ryan raised an eyebrow at me.

     "no, it's not brendon," dallon finally said. i looked back to dallon again, this time with an eyebrow raised.

     "tell us!" pete practically begged. dallon didn't budge. "please?"

     "alright, alright, fine. it's ryan seaman. are you happy?"

     my hand flew over my mouth in shock. ryan likes dallon. dallon likes ryan.

     "damn, no need to be hostile, oh great tall one." pete laughed.

     the night went on from there.