twenty-three.

A week had passed since the incident at his mother's house

A week had passed since the incident at his mother's house. He hadn't heard from him since—nobody had, not even Dymond who he was supposed to be keeping in contact with. Xavion knew he was embarrassed about what he'd done, and what Xavion had done to him.

He had a feeling that even if his dad reached out to Dy, though, he wouldn't get a positive response, if he got a response from her at all. It was all so much for her to deal with—she wanted nothing to do with him.

"Baby," he heard Emari call and he turned his head to her, suddenly remembering where he was. Her hands were held out to him and Ant was looking at him expectantly. He was used to their ritual of praying before matches now.

"My bad," he chuckled, taking her hands and leaning his head on hers as she said a prayer over him. Today was important, he only had two more matches before he saw a victory at the Golden Gloves and his dream was realized after all these years.

But, he was nervous. The opponent he was going up against today was dirty, people had been saying it the whole competition. He fought ugly, but just clean enough to keep him from getting disqualified.

Of course, he'd fought against dirty boxers before, but there weren't many here, on this stage for so many people and judges that could decide your career in boxing could see you.

His name was Trae. Trae West, and Xavion was thinking of about ten ways this fight could play out, most were positive because he believed that he was talented, he knew he had the skill to make it, he just had to put the work in.

"You got this, baby," Mari held his wrists and she sent a big smile his way, warming up his heart. She was all he really needed to get him going, ready to win any fight. She was his motivation in so many ways.

Since December had come upon them without warning, it would be nine months since Xavion asked Mari to be his girlfriend—and he was glad he did it every day. There wasn't a shred of doubt or regret in this relationship and he was so thankful for her, nothing could compare to the happiness he brought into her life.

They'd had their hiccups—like last week. He wouldn't say he was annoyed with her still about her ex, but he was now aware, and that made things annoying. Xavion saw her ex more now, or at least he noticed him more. He could have walked past that same man every day and he would never know, nor care to know who he was. But now, he caught the stares, he saw the smirks and he wanted to punch him in the face—but that wasn't necessary. At least now it wasn't. 

"Xavion! Boy come on, what the hell do you be thinking about?" Ant snapped and Mari stifled a laugh.

"My bad," he repeated, and gave Mari a kiss. "I love you,"

"I love you," she said, putting in his mouth guard like she always did, and sent a little punch to his gut. He laughed and she watched him as he jogged behind Ant to the match.