Chapter 8: Annabeth

Annabeth rounded up the little ones in the Posiedon and Athena and Hades and Hermes cabin (although it freaked her out a bit just walking in there), and Piper and Lou Ellen and Elise retrieved the rest. The gathered the children in the Zeus cabin. Annabeth locked the door tightly and lifted the heavy sheet of bars onto the door, same with the window. Elise, Posiedon's daughter and Percy's sister, had long, cascading hair the same color as Percy's, and those striking sea-blue eyes Annabeth had always loved about him. She wore a sea-foam-green v-neck top and sea-foam-green and black plaid pajama pants. Elise sat on the floor, playing Barbie dolls with a little girl on the marble floor. She had taken interest in Leo, who had asked her out in return. They had been dating for six months now. The little girl, only seven, was from the Athena cabin. Her name was Valerie, but they all called her Val. She had Annabeth's pretty, blond and curly hair and grey eyes. Annabeth favored her, because Val reminded Annabeth exactly of herself when she first came to camp. She loved to watch Val work and grow, figuring out equations Annabeth had at her age. Val studied her Barbie doll. "I've always wondered about the physical features of these dolls. I mean, a doll with inflexible joints has no advantage in battle against a doll that can move her wrists. Then again, it depends on the weapon. If this little toy sword clicks into the hand of the one whose shoulder blades only move, then falters don't happen. Although, Mr. Jackson does say its all in the wrist. Is that true, Annie Beth?" Annabeth ruffled her hair. She loved the over-analyzation that was engraved in the minds of Athena's children. Any other seven year old would've said "awwww! This one's hand doesn't move. That's stupid!". Elise continued to play with Val, Annabeth fed a toddler Mac n' Cheese, and Lou Ellen did a magic trick for a group of nine-year-old Hermes kids. The room was Piper and Jason's apartment, and their shining, four-poster bed stood in one corner. Their kitchenette was made with marble and gold, and the room smelled of Jason's cologne and Piper's perfume. Piper rocked Alison, the Apollo baby that had been left on the top of Half- Blood Hill and Piper and Jason had adopted. Allyson had soft, wispy hair the color of creamy caramel and coppery skin. Piper finished feeding her a bottle and laid her in the pack-and-play in the corner. Annabeth smiled and began to venture over to Val when a loud, deep horn blew. Piper jumped, Annabeth drew her dagger and Elise and Lou Ellen scrambled to ward the kids into the closet. A strange figure ran in front of the window, and the shadow made Annabeth jump. She had seen that person before. It was the spider goddess. Arachne.