half a heart

The night had passed by quickly. Y/n fell asleep at her desk, drowning in tears. Kenma spent his evening sitting at his desk as well, thinking of her.

Her drawing hung right above his desk, some of the pencil lines slowly fading away. But he admired it every day. 

He could feel sadness creep into his heart last night and he automatically knew that y/n was in trouble. It was a weaker feeling than usual, though.

As the two of them woke up the next morning, they both felt a large sense of fear in each other's hearts. It was a Monday, meaning they both had school, but for some reason, it felt weird.

Kenma got changed slowly, pulling a pair of sweatpants out of his dresser. Next, he filtered through his pile of long-sleeved shirts. 

Today was the day. He wasn't going to go through this again. He quickly grabbed a t-shirt without second-guessing himself. He slid the cotton material over his head, poking his arms through the sleeves. His eyes immediately focused on his wrists. There were no scratches, just a few light scars. Y/n had made him so happy recently, and today, he was going to make her proud.

He waltzed into the bathroom, yawning along the way. Lifting his head slowly, he made eye contact with his reflection in the bathroom mirror. He hated the way he looked in a t-shirt, but it was worth it to see y/n's smile once more. 

After brushing his teeth, he grabbed a soft towel and rubbed it against his face. It felt just like the feeling of y/n. So soft and comforting. He missed her touch and her warm laughter that flowed into his heart.

Thoughts circled his mind, all forcing themselves around y/n. He couldn't wait for school, but some strange part of him continuously found himself worrying about her. 

She was fine. She was perfectly fine. Right?

Meanwhile, y/n was sitting in the center of her bed staring at the same blank wall. She didn't feel like doing anything today. She didn't want to see Kenma's calming face. She didn't want to see the pain that she forced upon him. 

It wasn't worth going to school. If she didn't plan on going tomorrow, what was the point of going today? 

Yes, she missed Kenma. But she couldn't bear seeing his pudding-like hair, his sparkling golden eyes, and his soft lips. They all could've been used for someone better. Not her. Not his stupid soulmate.