home

Y/n rushed home, her face burning in embarrassment. She couldn't wait for Sunday. 

As she opened her front door, she paused and stared at her sneakers. They brushed against the welcome mat before her hand reached forward and slowly turned the doorknob. 

She pushed the door open and walked into the kitchen, seeing her mother sitting at the table. She was reading the same book as before. 

"Hi, mom," y/n said as she placed her backpack gently next to the stairs. Her mom nodded with her eyes still stuck between the pages of her book. Y/n walked back over to the counter where she started making herself dinner. 

"How was your sleepover with Kenma? I'm so sorry that I couldn't make it home last night." y/n's mom gave her the death stare again. At that moment, y/n realized that everything other than the last few days with Kenma had been very repetitive. 

"It's fine, I had fun," y/n tried to sound as happy as possible without her mom questioning anything. 

As she continued making her sandwich, she felt her mom's death glare behind her. 

"Oh, by the way, mom? Can I meet up with friends on Sunday?"y/n spoke up. Her mom hesitated. Y/n knew that she was confused just by her lack of words.

"S-sure, but which friends? Why haven't I hear of them?" her mother started questioning. Y/n didn't really want to explain that she was hanging out with a boy from her school, but since it was Kenma, maybe her mom would agree. 

"Just Kenma and Kuroo," y/n hesitated a bit. She could sense her mom relaxing a bit, bringing her panic levels down. 

"Ah, of course. I'm proud of you for stepping up and making friends, y/n," she smiled. Y/n felt somewhat embarrassed. Was it really so special for her to hang out with friends? No wonder she was so excited for Sunday. 

Y/n placed her turkey sandwich on a ceramic plate (sorry vegetarians hehe) and sat down at the dining room table, away from her mother. Now, all she could think about was the weekend. She had never been so excited in her whole life. 

She nibbled small bites out of her sandwich until only crumbs were left on the plate. Y/n stood up and placed the plate in the dishwasher. As she closed the dishwasher door, her gaze drifted over to where her mother sat. 

Her mother was peacefully pacing through the lines of her book, as carefree as y/n had ever seen her. She really wondered what her mother did all day. 

Y/n grabbed her backpack and walked upstairs slowly, trying not to disturb her mom. As she opened the door to her bedroom, she felt a buzz in her pocket. Her mind went blank every time this happened. 

She placed her backpack next to her desk, grabbing the phone out of her pocket. 

1 new message from Kenma:
Hi, y/n. Would you like to play Mario Kart with me once you finish your homework?

Y/n looked up as if she was in a movie. Her eyes lit up in excitement. 

From y/n:
Sure, I can play now :)

She got super excited and decided that playing Mario Kart with Kenma was a much better idea than actually doing her homework. 

She sat at her desk and set up her laptop and headphones. Kenma started a voice call with her, and they joined a server soon after. 

"Hi, Kenma!" y/n said into her microphone. She could feel him smiling on the other end of the line. 

"Hi, y/n," he mumbled, his soft voice comforting her. 

"Remember how we used to play as kids in your bedroom?" y/n said as they started their game. 

"Yes, of course," Kenma giggled, "we were good friends." 

That last sentence stuck in y/n's head as they played. 

"Are we not good friends now?" y/n sarcastically said, frowning into the microphone.

"No," he laughed. Y/n was confused. Did he not consider her a good friend? What did he mean?

"We're soulmates."