CHAPTER 28 | BETH

Beth sat back in her seat, crossing and uncrossing her legs out of nervous habit. She didn't know anyone other than Stacey, well enough to make conversation. She debated pulling her phone out and checking on Chris, but she knew that she was fine. Plus, she didn't want to be that person who was so glued to her screen that she couldn't function. Instead, she scrolled the small program in front of her. The trifold pamphlets in the center of the table highlighted features of the school's academic and athletic achievements, highlights from the previous semester, and a note from the Headmaster welcoming the new staff members.

"Hello, sweetheart. How are you this evening?" Beth hadn't noticed that the woman whose jacket had been hanging on the chair had made her way back to the table.

"Oh! Hello. I'm doing quite well, thank you. How are you?" She smiled. The woman looked to be in her mid-70's, with snow-white hair that matched the color of the tulle draped around the building. She wore thick square frames over her soft, blue eyes and had a smile that instantly made her feel at ease.

"Ohhh, I'm alright. Arthritis in my knee is giving me fits, what with this cold weather and all, but I'm doing pretty good." She reached down and rubbed her right knee. "That's one of those downsides to getting old and all. Every bone and joint and muscle you've got aches like the dickens. Enjoy your bone density while it lasts."

Beth laughed. Her grandmother had said something similar as she had gotten older. Always letting her know when the rain was coming because she swore her hip would start aching. "I'm sorry, ma'am. I didn't catch your name. I'm Beth Williams." Beth reached her hand out to shake the elderly woman's hand.

"Oh. Where'd my manners go? I'm sorry, hon. My name is Doris. It is so good to meet you." She slipped her tiny hand into Beths and gave it a small squeeze. Her fingers were like ice and sent a shiver up Beth's arm. "I'm sorry, sugar. I know my hands are like icicles. My son is all the time telling me I need to get me some of those hand warmer things for my jackets, but I can't remember my purse most days. I surely can't remember a hand warmer." She shook her head and Beth laughed.

"Oh, hey Ms. Doris! I didn't realize this was your stuff. How are you?" Stacey leaned down to hug the older woman.

"Oh, I'm making it sugar. I was telling Beth here that the cold weather has my knee aching something fierce, but other than I'm doing alright. Might have to show you girls up out there on that dance floor tonight. I could move pretty good back in my days." Doris held her hands up and did a little wiggle in her chair.

Beth and Stacey laughed. The old woman seemed to radiate joy and happiness that Beth couldn't pull herself away from. She was wearing a beautiful red sweater and had a strand of long, gold chains around her neck. Her lipstick looked to perfectly match her sweater and her smile was infectious. She talked and talked for half an hour as more staff members trickled in about her youth.

Beth learned that her husband, James—or Jimmy as she had called him—had been in the US Navy. He'd enlisted, like many young men in the 40's, right after Pearl Harbor. She had lied about her age to marry him. Leaving nothing but a quick note behind telling her parents what was going, she jumped on a train and followed him to training in Illinois before they came back to Florida for his naval service. She told her story with so much zest and animation, that Beth realized she could sit and listen to her all day long.

"You know girls, men back then? They knew how to treat their ladies. Many of those good boys—and that's what they were when they went in...just boys. Many of those boys came out of the war different people. My Jimmy was the most well-mannered and kindest man that I'd ever met. He was quiet but had a vivacious personality. He told the best jokes and was always cutting the fool with people. Everybody loved him." Doris waved her hands about as she animated her story, a broad smile dancing across her face.