Tippin' What Now?!

"Mater!" Lightning hissed, "I'm not doing this."

Mater smirked, "Aw, come on, you'll love it!"

Lightning looked out across the dark field. The moon was bright enough that it illuminated everything pretty well. There were cows spotting the field, fast asleep.

"Cow Tippin's fun!" Mater finished in a loud whisper.

"This is ridiculous..."

Mater army crawled a few feet further in the tall grass, "Alright, listen, when I say go, we go. But don't let Frank catch ya, GO!" Mater sprung up and started sprinting through the grass.

"Whoa! Whoa, wait! Who's Frank!" Lightning jumped up, "Mater! Wait!" He ran after his friend who jumped over the fence like some kind of Olympian.

Lightning caught up to Mater who didn't give him a second's notice before diving into an explanation, "Okay, here's what you do, ya sneak up to the side of 'em and then you push real hard. And they do the rest. I swear cows is so dumb. I tell you what, buddy, nothin' don't get much better than this." Mater was laughing so hard by the end that Light barely understood him. 

Light chuckled, "Yep...you're living the dream, Mater boy."

"Ah..." Mater wiped a tear from his eye, "'ight, have at it!" He stepped away, giving McQueen space.

"Mater I can't." Light put his hands up and shook his head, "I'm not strong enough to push over a cow."

Mater sucked his teeth, "Hm." Spitting a wad of saliva into the grass he shrugged, "Baby."

"I'm not a baby."

"Okay then." Mater started clucking like a chicken.

"Fine. Stop...stop! Okay, alright, I'll do something..."

Mater stopped clucking and grinned.

Lightning looked at the cow and started for it slowly, he hesitated but finally put his hands against the cow's side, and giving one last look at Mater - who gave him two thumbs up - he pushed.

He pushed mighty hard on that animal.

But nothing happened.

"Ugh. Mater, it doesn't work."

"Ah, shoot dang that's not true! You're just not trying hard enough! Come on, push!"

Lighting put his shoulder into it, his shoes were losing their grip on the grass and he had no leverage.

"PUSH!" Mater shouted.

Suddenly the cow let out one long, loud, bellow.

McQueen jumped back and Mater went silent.

Somewhere in the darkness a light turned on and a door slammed.

"...That's Frank." Without another word Mater took off across the field.

McQueen stood confused.

Suddenly out of nowhere, an ATV was spinning its wheels across the field, coming at Light full speed.

It had large spotlights mounted to its top and they shone directly at Lightning, who after a moment took off after Mater.

"RUN!!" Mater yelled as McQueen caught up with him.

There was a loud BANG that rang through the air and Mater whooped loudly, "Oh boy!! HE'S SHOOTING AT US!"

***

"Mater. That was stupid." Lightning said, slumping down in the passenger seat of Maters tow truck.

"Ah nah, it was fun! We got out alive didn' we?"

"Barely, I almost didn't make it through the fence before he got me. And you- you got shot!"

Mater looked down at his right arm and shrugged, "It's only buckshot. Nothin' nasty."

"Looks nasty to me."

"Doc'll fix it right up."

Light shook his head, "The old timers probably asleep."

Mater pulled into Doc's building nonetheless.

The two of them got out of the truck and headed for the door, it was locked.

"Do the honors?" Mater said, "My arms kinda...ya know."

Light nodded and knocked on the door loudly.

"Wha-! Huh!? Hang on one dadgum minute!" Doc shouted from somewhere in the building.

A ruffled, tired-looking Doc opened the door, when he saw the pair he scowled so deep the Grand Canyon went jealous.

"Whaddya want?" 

"Maters hurt." Light explained.

Doc noticed Mater's arm, it wasn't too bloody but the shirt was ripped up and the skin rubbed raw in most places.

"Ah dang it. Get in here."

Mater went first, Light trailing after him.

Doc's office was what you'd expect - a small space with an exam table, some counters and cupboards, and a few chairs. Outdated medical posters hung pinned to the tan walls but everything else seemed up to date.

"Sit down." Doc huffed.

Lightning leaned against the counter watching as they patched Mater up real good.

As Doc was putting his things away he turned to McQueen, "You owe me."

Lightning frowned, "What?"

"You owe me. For getting Mater hurt."

"Now hang on a second," Light pushed away from the counter, "I'm already fixing up this town, and besides it was Mater who-"

"No. Mater got hurt. That's on you. Now get out."

Doc went through a back door and shut off the lights in the office, "And lock up on your way out!" He called to them.

"Ah shoot. I didn't mean to get you in trouble or nothin'." Mater said, looking down at his bandaged arm.

Light shook his head, looking after Doc, "Come on, let's go."

A/N: MmmmmHmmmm

A/N(edited): I'm back!! I need to re-read everything I've written so I can get back in the flow of this story, so if in a few chapters, you feel like the writing style has changed...well, you're probably right and please forgive me. It's been about a year and a half since I've written anything for this story *smiles sheepishly*

Thank you all for the support and love this has gotten, it keeps me going!