A Close Call

Authors Note

Going through this story there will be a few, how shall I put this...weird, writing styles? in the way that I am trying to convey many people's words, conversations, and actions all at once (because it's very easy for this to be done in a movie, but not so much in a book, but I'm going to try to do that a little bit) So just bear with me!

***

"The race is on!" Bob shouted into the microphone, "And immediately the King takes the lead, shoving in front of McQueen and Rutherford, both of which are vying for second place."

"Yes indeed, the race has started and started off hot! The crowd is going wild as Rutherford pushes in front of McQueen, with the first turn coming up its neck and neck."

"The first turn is the most crucial part of any race, out there in the stands it looks like a normal curve, not much to see, but to those drivers its almost a 90 degree angle and it sure feels like it too. It changes the course of the race right from the get-go."

"And here we go..." Darrell interjected.

With bated breath the first turn came, McQueen still vying with Rutherford and just moments before the turn he saw the opening he needed and caught the inside of the curve, shoving Ruth off the line and taking the turn at second place.

"Oh man!" Bob shouted, "It was almost as if Rutherford gave him that inside spot."

"No I don't think so, he was cuttin' that curve mighty close, he either got scared or McQueen pushed him off. The rookie's been prone to risky moves like that, I'll have to give McQueen the credit for this one!"

"Darrell look at that!" Each announcer zeroed in on the track as they watched Chick moving up the lines, he took the inside turn on the first curve, putting himself behind Ruth in fourth place but in a matter of seconds he passed the car and started in on McQueen.

Lightning didn't miss the move made by Chick and slid in closer to the line on the inside of the track, not giving Chick any openings to take the inside spot.

"No you don't..." Light hissed under his breath, cutting Hicks off as he tried to speed past McQueen on his right.

He was making some pretty risky moves in an attempt to get past McQueen but Light simply wasn't going to give up his spot.

~

"Were on lap 95 of this race, coming up on halfway through - spots are pretty securely taken with The King in the lead and McQueen in second, but Chick Hicks has been on his tail this whole time."

"That's right Darrell, Hicks simply isn't giving up on McQueen, he's been pushing the Rookie for more then 80 laps, how much more do you think McQueen can take?"

"I don't know Bob, but I do know this is going to be a close call."

Light was getting pissed.

Hicks was sticking to his tail like some kind of leech and he just couldn't shake him off.

"We're on lap 150 Bob, can you believe this?"

"No, I really can't, we've had a huge comeback from number 85, Chuck Armstrong, he's pushing in close to Hicks."

"While that is true the battle between McQueen and Chick is still going on, they've gone back and fourth pushing each other out of second for almost half the race." Darrell announced, "First place, it seems is keyed in for The King, the question now is who'll take second!?"

"Hold on a minute," Bob shouted, "What is Hicks doing?"

Even as they spoke Hicks had gotten astride McQueen on his right side and was pushing in on him, almost as if he was trying to push him off the track.