The Big Race Pt. 2

Doc looked over his crew. He never thought he'd be back on the race track, not like this at least...and he was crew chief

He shook his head. Who would've thought?

"We are back in business!" He shouted, "Guido! Luigi! You're goin' up against professional pit crew boys, you're gonna have to be fast!"

Luigi stood up straight and did a mock salute, "They will not know what hit them!" 

Doc switched the receiver on his mic back to McQueen, "Kid, you can beat these guys. Find a groove that works for you and get that lap back!"

Doc watched as the kid did as he was told, speeding almost too fast in the straightaway and pulling up on The King and Chick Hicks.

To his side, Doc watched as Chick Hicks' pit crew edged in closer to the barrier that separated the different racers' pits.

"Is that...?" He heard a voice, "Oh wow, that's him." The voice grew excited.

Up in the press box, a pair of TV crew members were zooming in on McQueens Pit, the men were staring at Doc.

"That's the Hudson Hornet. That's Doc Hudson." One of the men said, gaping.

His friend grabbed the nearest phone to the announces box, "Bob, Darrell, the Hudson Hornet's back!"

Bob's screen cut to a camera aimed at Lightning Mcqueen's Pit and crew, "No way...Darrell, it appears McQueen has got himself a pit crew. And look who he has for a crew chief!"

"Get that on the big screen now!" Darrell exclaimed.

A few moments later Doc Hudson's face filled the four jumbo tron screens around the stadium and cries of disbelief filled the air before turning into cheers.

"Wow, this is history in the making. Nobody has seen the racing legend in over 50 years!"

"Ladies and gentlemen, it's the Hudson Hornet!"

~~~

McQueen was catching up to King and Hicks, he was pitched to the outside as they came up on turn three, it was there that he saw the opening. As Hicks slowed to turn McQueen sped up on the inside, taking a tight turn.

"McQueen passes them on the inside!" Bob Cutlass shouted.

"But he's still nearly a lap down!" Darrell added.

"Can he catch up to them with only 60 laps to go?!" Bob said.

In McQueen's mic Doc said, "You're doing great, kid. Just keep your head on."

~~

Guido and Luigi were being meticulous in their prep of the pit. Making sure each tire was in place and each lug nut was shined. No, they would never let their friend drive with dull lugs nut. The very thought of it made them shudder. Performance and aesthetics went hand in hand.

Some of Chick Hicks' cronies - in those garishly green jumpsuits - approached them, one of them called out, "Hey Shrimpie, where did McQueen find you huh? Those round things are called tires, and they go under the car!" He laughed and his cronies cackled alongside him.

Guido scowled at them, picking up a wrench, "Con chi credit di parlare!? Ma, con chi stai parlando!?"

Luigi had to intervene, "No! No, no Guido." He held his friend back even as the green trolls continued laughing, "You will have your chance." He told his friend quietly.

~~

The race had been tough. While King had stayed in the lead both Hicks and McQueen were neck in neck trying to keep 2nd place. If you could carve out your spot in 2nd then you could vie for 1st place, but so far the two of them kept cutting in and out of each other, neither could hold onto 2nd for very long.