Crusin'

"Flo, why are you making me do this?" Sally hiked up her dress so she could walk down the stairs into the Cozy Cabins foyer area.

"You'll see. Now put these on." Flo brandished a pair of red stiletto heels, they matched her red dress.

"No way. Are those yours?"
"Yes. No buts. Put 'em on."

Sally took them from Flo and she'd be lying if she said it didn't make her a little excited to get dressed up, it had been a while.

"Now." Flo helped her stand and Sally gave her a nervous look, "Perfect."

"What's all this for?"

There was a knock on the door and Sally froze.

Flo went to open it and Sally  - a little disappointed for some reason - saw that it was Mater.

"Mater." Sally smiled, "Is this all your doing?"

Mater took his hat off and bowed low, "Miss Sally, I'm here to 'scort you. This way." He held an arm out to her and she took it, giving Flo a confused look.

"Have fun!" Flo shut the door to the Cozy Cabin and crossed the street to the gas station.

Mater led the two of them down the road towards the fire station.

"What's all this for Mater?"

Mater shrugged, "Thought you could've used some cheerin' up or some."

Sally smiled. It did make her happy, but she realized she'd rather spend this nice walk with...someone else. 

But he was gone. And that was that. Nothing she could do about it now.

"Hi Sally!" Ramone said, walking past them.

Luigi came next, "Ho bisogno di mantenere il segreto...evening-a Miss Sally!" 
He seemed a bit more chipper than usual...if that was possible.

Guido grinned at her.

"Alright, what's going on?"

***

Lightning was feeling antsy. Like he was about to drive out of the track and start a big race. He shook his hands out and checked his reflection in the mirror one more time.

"How do I look?"

Red gave him the thumbs up.

Outside of the courthouse doors, Light heard, "Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the new: Lightnin' McQueen!"

That was his cue. 

He grabbed the door handles and swung both doors open at the same time, stepping out onto the steps and giving it his best suave look.

Sally laughed and it was music to his ears.

He finished the steps and Mater stepped off to the side grinning widely.

"Thanks buddy."

"Anytime!" Mater walked off whistling.

"So! How do I look?" He crossed his feet then spun himself around, "Radiator Springs looks pretty good on me."

"I'll say. Ka-chow." She grabbed his hand and inspected his suit, "You're gonna fit right in, in California. Oh, my goodness," She noticed a new small tattoo on the inside of his wrist "95" written in black ink, "The suit, the hair, and Ramone did this...it looks like you've helped everybody in town. ."

He shook his head, "Not yet."
Sally gave him a confused look.

"Hey!" Lightning suddenly yelled, "Is it... getting dark out?"