The Big Race

"Hello, race fans, and welcome to what has become, quite simply, the biggest event in the history of racing. A three-way battle for the Piston Cup!" Bob Cutlass leaned into the microphone and spoke excitedly.

"Bob, there's a crowd of nearly 600,000 here at the Los Angeles International Speedway. Tickets to this race are hotter than a black leather seat on a hot summer day!" Darrell let out a bark of laughter then turned to look out of his viewing box to the crowds and race track below.

"The King," Bob went on, "Chick Hicks and Lightning Mcqueen in a 200 lap, winner-takes-all, tiebreaker race. What an event!"

"You know, I gotta lot of years on me but let me tell you somethin' buddy, I never thought I'd see anything like this. Wow! This is exciting!"

Bob shook his head, if only the listeners could see it now - the race track, the crowds, the cars, the fireworks, and the buzz of 600,000 people in one place.

"In fact, the entire country has almost shut down to watch this race, which many experts are calling the race of a century."

~~~

"How's it lookin'?" 

King squatted down next to his car and one of his mechanics who was checking the alignment of his tires - rather, double checking. One could never be too careful.

"Looking good King. Just put on the new tires and the alignments looking hot."

"We like to hear it." King said, patting the mechanic on the back, he stood just as Junior - another racer - was walking by.

"Hey King! Good luck in your last race. You've been a real inspiration to me." He walked up and put his hand out. King had never gotten comfortable with fame. He blushed and shook the mans hand, "Thanks, Junior. Appreciate it."

Junior nodded and walked off.

"Hey." The feminine voice made King turn around and he smiled at his wife Lynda as she walked up. It seemed to be social hour out here in the Gasoline Alley.

"Hey yourself." He took Lynda's hand and went in for a kiss but she pulled away looking into his eyes intently.

"Be careful out there, okay?"

The King nodded, "Yes m'am."

~~~

Chick-hicks, just a few stalls over from King Weathers, could be heard giving interviews and letting doting fans ogle over him.

"Oh, he's so hot." Mia, one of his avid fans - at least since Mcqueen disappeared - was currently hanging off Chick's arm as her twin sister, Tia, fumed in jealously behind the camera. 

"Oh yeah," Hicks smirked at the attention he was getting, "You wanna know the forecast? I'll give you a forecast. A 100 percent chance of THUNDER! KA-CHICKA! KA-CHICKA! KA-CHICKA!"

Mia and Tia simultaneously fainted in awe and the crowds cheered.

~~~

Even further down Gasoline Alley, in the trailer parking, sat Mack's large red semi-truck.

"Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed."

Lightning was in the zone.

"Victory. 1 winner. 2 losers."

He could feel the steering wheel in his hands. Hear the roar of the engine and whine of tires on pavement...the G's he would pull as he rounded each corner. 

"Speed. Speed. Speed....Spe..."

He wondered if Sally would be watching this race. Would Mater pull up a chair? Or Flo and Ramone? Would they cheer him on? Could he go back to Radiator Springs a champion? He would take Sally on another drive, he'd give Mater that long-awaited helicopter ride and his best friend could follow in the skies as he and Sally sped below on the roads, he would-