Chapter 14

The world around me crumbles. I pick the rabbit off the floor, and stand frozen, staring at the faded, worn toy.

A tightening in my chest threatens to suffocate me as my heart pounds against it.

I scrunch the rabbit up in my hands, restricting my rage from tearing the head off.

Instead, I snatch the ceramic hand soap pump out of the sink bowl and throw it hard at the wall while letting out a deafening scream. Shards of ceramics fly everywhere. Some stick to the wall, sliding down with the green coloured soap splattered against the white tiles.

With my hands and the rabbit pushed against my face, I listen to the three sets of footsteps running towards me.

I pace the small bathroom until a pair of hands gently pull me to a stop, and I'm led over to the edge of the bathtub and forced to sit down.

My friends, stood around me, don't notice the blood to begin with.

Axel spots it first. He doesn't say anything about it, he just tries to discreetly nudge Jonah's arm to point it out to him. Wyatt follows their gazes and becomes the final one to be clued in with the worse possible piece of evidence.

Turning back, Wyatt places a hand on my shoulder and says, "We don't know if it's hers."

I push off the edge of the bath to get to my feet but Wyatt holds me down. "Whose else's could it be?" I growl up at him.

"It could be their's," Jonah suggests.

"Yeah," Axel agrees. "She might have gotten them."

"Then, where is she?" I ask, rising to my feet despite Wyatt's attempt to hold me down. "What did they do to her?"

"We don't know," answers Axel. "But we'll find her, mate?"

What if we're already too late? That blood could be hers. What if now we're only able to find her body?

"Stop," Jonah says, pulling me from my thoughts.

I look at him, giving him a arched brow. "What?" I didn't do anything.

"I can hear those negative thoughts rolling around in your head," he tells me. "Don't do it to yourself."

"Okay. So, they couldn't have turned back," says Axel, "or we would have seen them, and the car we were looking for isn't here, which means they would have driven further out."

Jonah throws his hands up. "What the hell would be out there?"

"I don't know," Axel replies. "Couldn't be much. I never knew anything was out here."

"Yeah," Wyatt agrees. "I wouldn't have thought a house would be out here."

"Then where could they have gone?" Jonah asks.

"To bury her body where no one will find it," I say under my breath.

Jonah reaches out and slaps me over the head.

"Ow."

"Well, are we going to sit here talking about it," Wyatt says, "or are we going to find them?"

"Good point." Axel agrees. "Let's go." He turns and walks out the door.

Jonah follows him without a word. A single pat on my back from Wyatt encourages me to move and follow them out with Wyatt on my heels.

We make our way through the house to the open door and the car that's still running. Without thinking, we all take the seats we were sitting in before.

I toss the old toy rabbit on the seat with my grey beanie as Axel reverses the car. Silence fills the space between us all. Listening to the tires travelling over the rocks and gravel, I lean my head back against the headrest, doing my best to keep the image of my sister's lifeless body out of my head.

***