Chapter 6

Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! I don't stop until the door swings open to reveal my red-faced mother.

"Walk away now!"

"Who was he?" I ask, ignoring her threat.

"Go away!" She tries to close the door but my hand slams against it, forcing it back open again. I won't let her win this time.

"What do you know about him?"

She shoots daggers at me with her eyes. "Why do you want to know?"

"Because, unlike you, I'm going to find her."

Her eyes widen, and her jaw falls open. "You're going to find her? Ha." Her head flops back. "You're useless at everything you do."

A small pang hits my heart. "At least I care."

"No, you don't," she fires back. "Because if you did, you wouldn't have left this morning when I told you not to!"

"You left too." I jab a finger at her. "Only you left her alone with a stranger."

"Yeah, because you stole my smokes." She waves her hand in front of me and I spot the new smoke in her hand. "If you hadn't of done that, I wouldn't have needed to leave."

"Stop blaming me!"

"Why? It's your fault," she scoffs, waving her arms around. "You knew you had to watch Misty today. I know you read my note because you left it scrunched up on the counter." She glares at me. "You didn't care. You left."

"So, did you!" Why can't she get it? I left Misty with her mother, she left Misty with a stranger. There's a difference. "And you brought the guy into the house! You're the one who put her in danger!"

"Because you stole my smokes!"

A layer of sweat covers my entire body. "That's no reason to leave your child behind!" Heat flushes through my body.

"I was coming back!" she tells me, as if that make it any better.

"Yeah, but you were already too late!"

She clenches her jaw and flares her nostrils. "So were you!" she shouts. "You couldn't even pick up your phone. What's the point of you having one?" Her face reddens the more she yells and spit flies out of her mouth with each word. "If you had followed my orders for the first time in your life and stayed home like you should have, this wouldn't had happened."

"If you weren't so selfish-" I begin.

"Look who's talking about being selfish." She laughs.

I furrow my brows at her. "You chose smokes over your daughter!"

"And you choose yourself over everything, always."

A silence stretches between us as I search for a come back while glaring at her. I can't get over how awful and selfish she is. I hate her.

"You weren't here," she continues, "because you only care about yourself. That's why everything happened."

"No," I say, "Everything happened because your a incompetent, self-centred, lousy mother that doesn't deserve to have children." I watch her eyes widen and she sucks in a breath. "You're useless and cruel. You've never loved anyone but yourself. You've never done anything for the family. You don't deserve the title of mother."

A burning sting swells in my left cheek and I have to let my brain process the scene in front of me before I can understand what happened.

I hold my cheek in my palm and stare at my mother with absolute shock. I'm used to her shoving me and dragging me around, but she's never hit me.