41. Looking good, Peña! - Brian

Maybe I shouldn't have abandoned Abby at lunch, but that was the straw that broke the motherfucking camel's back

I try exceptionally hard to give my fiancée whatever she wants, and I don't normally deal with extremes, but I will for this.

I always pitch in my fair share of housework and do whatever the hell bullshit chore she asks for that I didn't realize beforehand she would need—like dusting the top of the fridge because she's too short.

Frankie and Abigail are my priority. Always. Lately, I don't feel the reciprocation.

My afternoon is busy managing the staff and attending meetings with other department heads, but I manage to stay composed. I'm even in a relatively good mood despite the argument plaguing me.

After the last 4:30 meeting, I trek across campus with Rebecca and Dan, two other department heads. I spot Abby waiting near my building with my twin brothers a few yards away. Her doleful expression tells me she's carefully avoiding talking to them today.

I give them a friendly wave before exchanging pleasantries with my coworkers.

"¿Qué pasa, pendejos?" (What's up, idiots?)

"Har har," Chris says. "Did you forget we have plans?"

"Uh, yeah?"

Josh pipes up. "Suits, dude. We're supposed to get fitted."

"Then you said you'd take us to dinner because you love us." Chris cups his chin in his hands, giving me puppy dog eyes.

I glance at Abby's matching pleading eyes, and decide tonight is a good night as any for a break from fighting. "Okay, let me get my stuff, and we'll go."

The trio trails inside with me to my department. It takes the boys all of four minutes to find my coworker Lara and start flirting.

Abby rests her hand on my lower back while leaning to gently kiss my jaw. "I'm sorry that we fought."

I sigh. "Yeah, well, actually I'm not. Something needed to be said. I bite my tongue a lot, and I'm frustrated."

She opens her mouth, then snaps it shut. I hand her my car key. "I'm sorry that I forgot I had plans with my brothers. I'll see you at home."

Her dark eyes flash, then her shoulders slump as she slides the key from my palm.  "Okay. I love you."

"Love you."