20. Be my best man? - Brian

"Maybe we could have dinner next week

"Maybe we could have dinner next week. Friday night?"

"Brian, I don't know if..."

"Fine, Saturday. I'm not picky."

"We probably shouldn't..."

"Shouldn't what?" I lean over the table in the break room, palms splayed out and eye Abby seated before me. It's late July. Freezing in the air-conditioned building, and sweltering outdoors. The humidity makes your clothes stitch in patches and sweats drip down your neck.

Gaze aimed at the round white tabletop, cheeks tinted pink at the top, Abby won't look at me while turning me down. "I just don't think dating my coworker is a good idea. Especially now that I have Frankie."

"I didn't realize I was such a liability."

"It's not like that."

"It's not? Alright, then please be honest with me."

Abby's brown eyes meet mine, and she moves toward the refrigerator. "About what?" she asks, tugging the handle.

I glance into the hallway, then shut the door slowly as she does the same, setting a container on the green countertop.

"Tell me the truth, Abigail."

Her breath hitches as I move in tighter, bracing an arm on either side of her, but careful not to touch her. "Tell you what, Brian?"

"Should I stop asking you out because you don't like me? I make you uncomfortable? Or because you think it's complicated?"

"It's too complicated," she breathes out.

"So, what?" I drop my volume and bite the side of my lip, still careful not to touch her. "Do you like me?"

"Umm."

"Umm?" I repeat, leaning closer. Abby jumps as the motor to the refrigertor kicks into high gear. "Maybe you recall that you kissed me that night."

"That night was..." Abby falls silent except for a small gasp when I touch her ear with my nose. She takes a step back into me, and I graze my palm over her hip.

"Not enough? Too short? That's what I've decided."

She stays silent, but I hear her swallow hard as I stroke the soft skin of her neck with my knuckles. "Do you know how many times a day I think about you?"

"No," she breathes out. Her chest rises and falls with a heavy breath and she grasps my wrist. I freeze until she moves it over her abdomen.