43. I'm on your side. - Brian

Buzzing rakes through my brain or against my ears—I can't tell

Buzzing rakes through my brain or against my ears—I can't tell. It's hard to understand my body these days, but I can rely on some things. In the late afternoon, a thrumming rush of blood usually floods my brain during these exhaustive six weeks of recovery.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I roll back my shoulders to focus because it's about to roll over me like an impending wave. Crumbs explode across the desk as the cookie I drop thunks the wood.

I returned to work two days ago and found the cookies Sierra made me pre-accident were crusty, but she had Nick deliver a new box on his way to work. She baked three dozen the week I was released, advising me to freeze what I didn't immediately eat. This time, she suggested I share with my girl.

That routine humming is a strange sensation that I can't pinpoint; like my brain fires neurons, and somehow I can hear them detonate like firecrackers. I can't fight off the images either; split seconds before the crash play in my mind's eye without my permission.

A fuzzy vignette trims the edges because the accident almost feels like a dream. An excruciating memory I wish we could rewind and avoid.

***

SiSi laughed at something Nick said, and my chest felt so much lighter after dinner with my friends that I felt ready to face my fiancée for a productive conversation. I looked away for a beat—just a few hot seconds—and a pit dropped in my stomach when I snapped my head up.

Streetlights reflected off the hood and the shiny silver bumper that rammed into us first as that blue SUV barrelled toward us. I seized Sierra's head to protect her and hopefully the tiny baby inside her while she screamed my brother's name.

Events after that initial passing out are blurry, too. A panicked Chris roamed in front of his beat-up vehicle while tugging his hair; the other hand pressed his phone to his ear while calling for an ambulance.

Slumped over with her face mashed against the seat, Sierra grasped my hand. "Okay, B?"

I didn't answer. I couldn't. I desperately wanted to do something, say anything, and make sure she was okay, but I physically couldn't. I blinked slowly as her mouth formed silent words.

One minute, her drowsy, concerned eyes were trained on me, and the next, I was being rolled underneath blazing lights with doctors and nurses crowding the bed while we hurtled down the hallway.

***

Trepidation bolts through my veins, and I stand to pace in my office, trying to erase intrusive thoughts. Pacing helps me feel in control. I glimpse the time on my phone and breathe a sigh of relief, knowing Abby will arrive soon to drive us to the hospital.

The headaches from the swelling in my brain irritate me, and now and then, I force myself to ignore a shooting, searing pain that zips up my hamstring. My medical team was worried that my injuries were worse and that I would have lasting damage. So far, I've proved them wrong.