24. Oh, nothing. - Brian

Start from the beginning

"Text Nick," Nat suggests. "She's been there at least six hours. He'll text back,  but he's laser-focused on her, so he's not sending on his own."

"Thanks, Nat. I'm going to go, then. See you guys next week. Te queiro."

As the eight of them at Monday night dinner chorus goodbyes and that they love me, Abby chuckles from where's she sunk to the bed, rubbing moisturizer on her cute face. My stomach flips as we share a brief smile, then I reach for my phone to text Nick.

"So, you see your family every week?"

"Pretty much."

I stretch out on my side and prop my head up, zoning out as I stare at the wall. My mind is racing with the worst thoughts. I hate not being in the same town as my best pal as this monumental event happens in her life.

"Thanks again for getting me dinner. Um...listen, about how I acted earlier." She angles to face me and I lean in.

I clear my throat. "Yeah?"

Abby twists her mouth and studies the ceiling. "I suck at apologizing, but I'm sorry I was an idiot."

The smile on my face continues growing. "It's not too late, you know."

"For?"

"You to make it up to me."

She reddens. "What does that mean?"

"Oh my gosh, you perv. I meant more like you can be sweeter to me if you'd like."

"Oh." Abby flushes again, covering her eyes with one hand.

The bed gives as I shift forward. "Unless you wanted to talk about that."

"About?"

She laughs while I peel her fingers from her face. "How you can no longer resist me."

"Watch me," Abby says, standing. She walks toward her suitcase resting on top of the dresser.

I poke my molar with my tongue. "Trust me. I am."

Her eyes meet mine in the mirror on the wall as she rifles through her belongings. A song trills from her cell phone, and she snags it off the bed, scrambling to press buttons.

"Hi!" She crows, beaming. "How's my baby boy?"

She sinks into a chair by the window, and I walk to my luggage, digging through my clothing until I find a soft T-shirt. Sighing, I undo the buttons and roll my neck, then discard it on the floor.

I groan and stretch my limbs; my arms to the ceiling, and rise on my tiptoes. The tension relieves as I flex my back and legs, and I sigh in pleasure, reaching for my fresh shirt.

"Uh, um, uh, yeah..."

Eyebrows furrowed, I face a stuttering Abby. She's squeezed her eyes shut while video chatting with Frankie.

I toss my shirt over my bare shoulder and nab my sweatpants before wandering toward the bathroom. By the time I emerge, I've got a text update from Nick about Sierra's progression. Frankie's cute giggle trickling from the phone makes me smile as I settle into the bed, tucking a hand behind my head while flipping through channels.

While Abby chats with Frankie, I study her in mom mode. It's hard to look away from her shining brown eyes and glowing smile. Her flushed cheeks. She meets my eyes and I grin, raking my gaze over her. "Beautiful," I whisper.

Abby covers the mouthpiece as I rest my chin on my hand. "What's that?" she asks.

"Oh, nothing."

***