56. Room of Requirement

Start from the beginning

"Malfoy!" I yelled after him.

After a few complicated twists and turns, we stopped at a large narrow prism-shaped cabinet. It was fairly old and rusted at the hinges with black and gold trimmed the edges. It would have been quite beautiful if it didn't reek of dark magic.

"Is this it?" I asked him, as I traced the edges of the cabinet with my fingers.

"Yep. Now stop touching it, I wanted to try and few spells that I found at home in the library" he muttered angrily.

I stepped backwards and watched as he waved his wand around the cabinet, muttering a few spells I had never heard of. His white hair was pushed back and I noticed it had grown longer on the sides during the holiday. His pale eyes were focused and heavy as he concentrated, his lips pulled in a straight line. He looked quite handsome when he was focused, he looked older and more mature.

After he finished experimenting with his spells, he grabbed a green apple from his pocket and placed it inside the vanishing cabinet. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

He closed the cabinet again, muttered another spell and waited. I flicked my gaze from his face to the cabinet until he opened the doors again.

"Fuck!" he cried out angrily.

I peered inside the cabinet and found the apple still sitting where he placed it.

It didn't work.

"Well surely you didn't think it was going to be that easy?"

He flashed his eyes at me in annoyance.

"My dad has spent half his life studying protective spells. One time he spent five years just working on the theories behind the ancient protective spells at the Ministry" I explained, perching myself on a wonky armchair that had been shoved to one side.

I looped my legs around the arm and pulled my wand out.

"I forgot my notebook but I know enough about breaking protective spells to have a quick go. I don't think the basic spells will work.." I mumbled, sorting through my thoughts.

He stayed quiet, his eyes still watching the cabinet in front of us.

"The spells I normally use wont work on this, it reeks of dark magic"

"You normally use?" he asks, cocking one eyebrow.

"Yeah I've been breaking protective spells since I was 11" I explained, twirling my wand through my fingers.

He scoffed.

"What?" I retorted.

"You are so full of yourself" he mutters, his gaze still on the cabinet.

"Fuck off" I mutter.

"The only thing I'm good at is charms. I'm hopeless at everything else" I admit.

He scoffs again.

I glare at him until he looks at me.

His eyes are cold and serious.

"You are good at a lot of things Flint, aren't you like in the top three of most classes?" he asks.

I stare at him confused. Why would he know that?

"I mean yeah, but I'm not naturally good. I study pretty hard"

He raises his eyebrows at me and twists around again to face the cabinet.

I take this as an opportunity to stand up and start trying out the few spells I can remember at the top of my head. I start off with a few spells to gauge if the cabinet is protected by any spells I was familiar with but I only feel dark magic.