33. Bruises

Draco's POV

My fist connected with Montagues face and a sharp pain reverberated down my hand and into my shoulder. Quidditch kept me fit but I knew as soon as I threw that punch that Montague would hit me back harder. He was a chaser, and I knew he had a good arm on him. Luckily Montague's IQ was nowhere near as high as mine, so once I recoiled my hand, I swerved to my right and watched Montagues fist fly past me. I pull a left hook and hit his cheek with a thwack. He stumbles back but doesn't relent, instead he pushes forward and throws another punch. This time I'm not fast enough to completely dodge it and he hits me square in the shoulder.

Adrenaline was coursing through my veins and I felt the pure hotness of blood boil under my skin. I heard Pansy cry out in the background as Montague retaliated but I didn't hear Zabini come up from behind me. Zabini grabs my shoulders and pulls me back, I struggle against his taller frame. I watch as Montague also gets pulled back by Crabbe, his square jaw clenched with rage, his eyes glaring straight at me and a huge mark from my ring indented in his fat cheek.

"What the fuck?!" I yell at Zabini, twisting from his grasp. He lets go as soon as Crabbe pulls Montague further away form us.

I twist round and push Zabini away from me.

"We all know that would have ended badly" Zabini shrugs, his tone unbothered with my raised voice.

I clench my fists and wince. My fist was sore from the punch, my knuckles were stinging.

"Why would you care!?" I shout at him.

"Fuck Malfoy, I don't know. But I'm sure Aster wouldn't want to see you lying knocked out next to her in the hospital wing" he retorts.

I flinch as soon as he says her name.

I spin round and see Crabbe pulling Montague to the couch, Pansy touching his already bruised face.

I scoff. They're all too busy codling Montague to even care about me now.

"Is she ok?" I ask quietly, clenching my fists over and over again. Letting the sharp pain distract me.

Zabini looks taken aback from my question and I shoot my eyebrow at him in annoyance.

"Uh yeah she will be ok, she's just sleeping. She got a concussion"

"How?" I ask, trying not to look him in the eyes. Instead I look down at my shoulder, and try to rotate it. Nope. Sharp pains shoot down my arm.

"They think it was an accident, someone just hit her head while everyone was watching you and Potter go head to head"

"So you're saying it was my fault?" I quickly say back, my adrenaline still making my blood boil.

"No!" Zabini quickly replies, shaking his head.

"I think someone did it on purpose, I don't know why but it seemed like too much of a forceful knock to be an accident" Zabini mutters.

I look up at that.

"Why the fuck would someone hit her on purpose?"

He shrugs again.

"Fucking hell, I'm gonna get out of here" I say, not wanting to be around anyone.

I leave Zabini standing there.

It was getting late, the hallways were empty and it was nearly getting close to curfew. I didn't really know where I was going, I just needed to get out of the common room. After the fight, people started to stare and whisper and I already had that from losing them the game earlier, I couldn't deal with them talking about me clocking Montague either.