14. Peppermint & Green Apples

Draco's POV

Nott had been demanded back to his parents, and it was the talk of our group. He had refused to talk about why his parents were making him come home but he still continued huffing and grunting at breakfast, complaining to anyone and everyone about the inconvenience and out right audacity of his parents. I had half a mind to punch him in the throat and be done with his incessant complaining.

It didn't take me long to shove my breakfast down my throat, I had purposely got up early so I could eat without seeing Aster in the Great Hall.

I wasn't entirely sure how I felt about what we did or her for that matter. I couldn't even begin to compare her to Pansy. Pansy was a necessary experience, something that a boy my age was supposed to experience. But Aster was something I actually wanted, not even wanted but something I needed. I didn't know how to process that, or even if it was something I wanted to process.

I couldn't avoid her all morning, we had Potions eventually. But before I knew it my stomach was doing flips and I felt my temper rising quite quickly.

I push myself through the crowds of buzzing second years on the way to Potions, my scowl now very present on my face. I had a habit of disguising my nerves with anger, it had come in handy being a legendary Malfoy. My father was always rattling on about how prestigious and superious the Malfoy name was.

When I get to potions, I grab my books from my bag and shove them in front of me, the table still empty with only Ravenclaw's trickling in from outside. I felt my eyes grow tired as I try to read my textbook, desperate to get her out of my head.

Crabbe and Goyle stumble in through the doors, their incessant bickering travelling through the room immediately. I frown, their presence already irritating me and making my blood boil.

"Bro why are you here so early?" Crabbe snickers at me, digging his elbow into Goyles chest.

"Shut up and just sit down" I say, not bothering to look up at him.

Suddenly, it was like the air around me froze. Goosebumps materialised on my arms beneath my robes, I tried to stop my eyes from rising up but it was almost painful to not react.

She strolled in, her dark hair tousled but perfect, her green eyes bright and lively. She was laughing at Bainbridge and the sound seemed to reverberate through my bones and cause my toes to curl.

I hate myself.

Aster's POV

I'm too busy laughing at Harper to think about the class I just walked into. Harpers been extremely cheerful this morning, courtesy of Fred. He ended up jumping out at her before breakfast this morning, causing her to scream into a fit of laughter.

I didn't see Draco at breakfast, his usual crew were there but I tried not to search the hall for too long.

I jump onto my stool, conveniently opposite Draco. I don't look over, I don't want to give him the satisfaction of being the first to make eye contact. With us, it was a game. A game that I knew had a winner and a loser and I was determined not to lose.

I let Harper chat mindlessly, while I grab my quill and textbook.

"Ok Class, today we will be look at the most powerful love potion in existence" Professor Slughorn announces.

Harper's eye whip towards mine, excitement shining. I roll my eyes in response.

"I want everyone to come up to the front" Slughorn continues, motioning to the wide table in front of him, large cauldrons brewing, pearl swirls drift upwards from them all.

Sounds of scrapping chairs fill the room. Harper drags me to the front, not able to contain her excitement.

I shove myself to the farthest side and lean against the cool stone archway.

There was four cauldrons. Each containing the same potion. A seductive smell was drifting from the one closest to me, I had to try really hard to keep myself from floating towards it.

As Professor Slughorn dawdles on about the properties and complexities of the Amortentia potion, I find my mind wander and my eyes fixate on Draco.

He's relaxed, leaning his tall frame on a a nearby marble statue, his silver eyes glazed and thoughtful.

"Miss Flint, can you please tell me what this potion smells like?"

My eyes flick back towards Professor Slughorn, his old eyes questioning and curious.

"Um.." I pause, letting the scent fill my nostrils, savouring the sweet smell as it fills my head with dizziness, "it smells like peppermint and...apples? Green apples" I conclude.

Harper's snicker beside wakes me from my trance and I snap my head at her.

"Apples? Where are you smelling apples Ast?" She taunts, her lips curling up.

I feel the blood rush to my cheeks. I've literally just announced to the whole class that I'm attracted to a certain smell. It won't be too long until they realise who smells exactly like that.

Professor Slughorn thanks me before continuing with his lesson. I don't listen to the rest of his lecture, I'm too busy trying to cool myself down and figuring out a contingency plan for this mess I just created.

Before I know it, I'm walking back to our table, my head still in a daze from the potion.

I dig my hands into my hair, my head burrowed in the mess of curls.

I hear Harper leave to get the potions ingredients from the inventory. I raise my head and dare a look at Draco, not caring about winning or losing our stupid game.

He's staring straight at me, his eyes beaming with satisfaction.

He knows.

My heart gallops.

He gives me a bemused smile before he turns to his own cauldron.

He may have won this battle but I'm sure as hell going to win the fucking war.

Please don't hate me, I know you guys wanted more spice! The next chapter will not let you down 😉