50. Before

Aster's POV

"First things first, you cannot tell a soul about what I'm doing. I also need you to promise me you will stay away from your Uncle. I don't want them knowing you're helping me."

I picked myself up from his chest and sat crossed legged next to him, pulling the blanket to cover myself.

"Ok but is what you're doing dangerous?" I asked, now suddenly anxious.

"Well yes but I only need your help with one thing, I'll do the rest" he looked up to the canopy of his bed above him, his eyebrows now furrowed.

"Will you just tell me already?" I said impatiently.

He stayed quiet for a few seconds, still staring upwards. Then suddenly, he pushed himself upwards and leant against his bedhead, crossing his bare arms across his chest. I couldn't help but stare at his flexed biceps, he was lean but his arms always drew my attention. I felt my mouth dry up at the sight.

"I have to repair a vanishing cabinet...." his silver eyes refused to meet mine.

"Ok?"

"To smuggle Death Eaters into Hogwarts..."

I felt my heart rate steadily increase, but I kept my face impartial.

"Why?" I almost whispered.

He snapped his eyes at my whisper, a flash of weariness echoed in his irises.

"...Um, I don't know, my mission is to just repair the cabinet," he hurriedly answered.

I watched as he absent-mindedly clenched his fists.

"Why did you join them, Draco?"

His face quickly goes pale from my question, but it quickly turns back to his usual colour.

"I had to," he says sharply.

I frown at him.

"Why?" I press.

He sighs heavily and I watch as he takes in a deep breath, closing his eyes in the process.

"Flint, it's done. There's no going back, I'm a death eater" he says before he opens up his eyes again. This time, his silver eyes are blank, void of feeling. The sight makes my stomach drop.

Instead of the natural instinct to back off, I crawl forward and onto his lap. He watches me as I lower myself onto his thighs, his eyes still blank. His hands lay impassively by his side.

"What are you doing?" he asks.

"I'm helping you" I reply softly.

"I don't need your help, I'm only doing this so you don't go get yourself killed". This time I see something flicker in his eyes, something real.

My thoughts race. I could ask him why he cares so much that he's willing to involve me in his task to keep me out of my Uncle's grasp but from the way he's acting so still and cold, my heart tells me now's not the time.

An intrusive thought pops into my head.

"Are you using me?"

His eyes go wide.

"What?" He spits out.

"You said my dad is helping you with this vanishing cabinet, are you using me to find out what my dad knows so you can please your own father?" I tried to keep my voice neutral, but from the look of his face, I could tell he was displeased with the accusation.

"Fuck Flint, its quite the fucking opposite...Sure you can help because your father knows more about this stuff then anyone, but surely if you find out, that way I can keep your father out of all this while also keeping my father happy and you from sticking your big nose in everyone elses business?"