Chapter 28

I fell asleep on the car ride home.

Last night had been nothing but misery. At least tonight I hoped to replace Michael's pillow for Michael himself, but the idea of sleeping with him again after the night at Meg's made me feel sick.

I woke up to him leaning over me to gently unbuckle my seatbelt. I stretched, grazing his shoulder with my curled fingers as I raised them over my head. The sight of the dark campus in front of me blurred.

"Morning," Michael murmured.

I let him help me out of the car, acting like I was too feeble to stand on my own. His black jacket was just as cozy as I had imagined. I knocked into him intentionally and pressed my face to the soft fuzz.

"Hey." He moved his arm to grip my waist and steady me. "You good?"

"I'm sleepy," I said, hoping I sounded cute. Otherwise I might as well jump off a bridge.

He smiled. "Let's get you inside."

I closed my eyes as we walked, moving like a drunk person, trying to discreetly touch his hand without him noticing. Which was super ironic to me, considering I was the one to strongly reject hand-holding in the past.

It was as if I only wanted him more now that I couldn't have him.

Before I could enter the dorm Michael took my arm and steered me toward the main building, a sneaky grin blossoming on his face.

I frowned suspiciously. "What are you up to?"

"Thought we'd take a detour," he said casually.

He opened the heavy door for me, while I scoffed at the thought that anyone could just wander in. There were probably people here right now. Annoyingly studious kids who stayed in the library till 5 a.m.

Michael yielded at a white arrow hanging from the ceiling and directed me further down the hall. "I feel like we don't get to hang out enough. Like just the two of us. Or maybe you don't want to."

"No, I totally do," I said quickly. Woah there. Way too bold.

"You usually make it out like you can't stand me."

I wasn't sure how to reply to that. It was true. "Actually, um, I'd rather, like... just stay at home with you than go out somewhere. But... isn't that boring?"

"I think I need more boring in my life." He stopped suddenly in front of an empty room, similar-looking to the cafeteria but a bit smaller. There were couches in the middle surrounding a long table, with little booth seats built into the wall and a vending machine with snacks and drinks. "Welcome to the lounge."

I walked up to the clear door and shook the handle. "It's locked."

"C'mere." He traveled left aways and pointed to the open windows of space in the wall that looked into the room. I assumed their purpose was getting more fresh air in or something.

"What are you suggesting?" I said. "That we climb-"

"Where's your sense of adventure, pussy?"

My blood boiled at his insult and I stomped after him, watching as he placed both palms on the window's flat ledge and heaved himself up. "I'm not doing that."

He ignored me and swung one of his legs up so that his knee pressed against the corner of the wall, then pushed the rest of his body over and landed on his feet.

I crossed my arms. "Just let me in the door."

Michael rested his arms on the other side of the window, smiling out at me. "That's no fun. Come on, you can do it. Jump."