Chapter 21

who's your fav character? we'll be meeting a new one today ;)

Someone was shaking my shoulder.

It was fairly gentle, but extremely annoying. "Go away," I mumbled, rolling over onto my face. The shaking stopped.

I was blessed with three seconds of peace, and then the person yanked my arm back harshly, forcing me to turn over. "Wake up!" a shrill voice yelled.

I opened my eyes and blinked a few times at the girl standing over me, strands of brown hair from her ponytail slipping over her shoulders. "Meg?"

"You need to leave now," she hissed, trying to pull me towards the side of the bed. "My grandparents will be home any minute."

I groaned and scrubbed at my eyes, then rolled over and buried my face in the mattress.

"Come on," Meg insisted, her voice high-pitched. "You're one of the few people that can actually walk out of here, so please just make my life a little easier, please?"

"Fine," I grumbled. "I'm going." I looked behind me, for some reason expecting Michael to be still lying in bed. "Hey, what happened to-"

"Yeah, he did the same thing to me," she muttered. "You'll get used to it."

I narrowed my eyes. "What?"

She sighed loudly and leaned back on the wall, folding her arms. "He was gone when I woke up."

It felt like my brain was in slow-mode. I stared at her for a second, blinking. "Wait... when you woke up?"

"Yeah. Did you not... oh, wow. This is awkward. Um-"

"You guys fucked?" I said, like an eight-year-old just figuring out how their parents made them. "Last night?"

"It was weird," she said. "It's like four in the morning and he comes stumbling down to the couch and starts drinking, like, buckets of alcohol. Of course, I'm there, with all my beauty and charm, and boom. We're talking and talking, and then he's fucking me on the couch."

I felt nauseous just thinking about it. Which I couldn't afford to do, because I was supposed to be hightailing it out of her house. I was very thankful I had made the decision to put some underwear on last night. Being completely naked in front of Meg did not sound like a fun time.

I slowly swung my feet to the ground, one hand on my lower back like an old man without a cane. "Fuck," I mumbled.

"First time?" Meg guessed.

I looked up, my gaze smoldering. "Do you have to be here?"

"Nope," she said, pushing herself up from the wall. She walked around the bed to the door and then stopped, turning around. "Look, I know you hate me and all because you think I'm like your competition or something, but trust me. I've spent over a year on and off with that guy. He's put me through a lot of shit and I'm still here."

I stared at her hollowly for a second, then straightened up best I could, wincing as it increased the soreness at the base of my spine. On my way to the door, I scooped up my pants and shirt - correction, my pants and Michael's shirt - and stumbled into the hall.

I really needed to pee, so finding the bathroom became my new mission. I remembered where one was from last night, where I'd walked in on Rolph searching through the medicine cabinet. Unfortunately, that was all the way down the stairs and as I quickly discovered, walking down stairs was extremely painful.

Have sex they say. It'll be fun they say.

When I knocked on the door, someone called, "Come in!" in a light, friendly-ish voice, which was good enough for me.