Chapter 22

"I'm surprised he never mentioned me," Heather mused as she followed me over to Michael's bed.

She stood there, looking confused as I collapsed, then turned and shuffled across the room. Her curly strawberry blonde locks bounced every step. She was cute, but there was something about her that made me inexplicably mad.

I wished she would just be a bitch and then I could say something mean.

"Are you alright?" she asked, tucking her legs underneath her to sit.

I scowled. "No. I'm not."

She blinked once, then jumped up as she heard heavy footsteps near the door. "That must be him." That happy smile was back on her face.

I resisted the urge to scream into my pillow.

She opened the door to Michael standing there with a brown paper bag that was crusted with tiny sugar particles. Somehow, he had procured a shirt.

I stared at the wall, unable to even look at him. What could I have possibly been expecting? That we would wake up in each other's arms and spend our whole day wrapped up together? Stupid.

"Have at it," he said, dropping the bag onto the table by my bed. Heather tilted it to one side and gently shook out a round plain donut, then pawed through them until she selected a puffy Boston cream.

I looked at her with one eye, the other pressed shut by the pillow. She was close in height to me, but probably around ten pounds lighter. I also happened to notice that, like Kitty, she had practically no boobs.

Apparently, Michael really liked women that looked like ten-year-old boys.

"Hey," he said to me as he walked across the room. "Want a donut?"

I gave him a bright smile. "Hi, Michael, nice to see you. Guess what? Go fuck yourself."

Heather looked alarmed. "What, um, what happ-"

"Don't worry," he told her. "He gets cranky when he's hungover."

"Yes, I do," I agreed. "I get even more cranky when I get manipulated and used for my body and then left in the morning like a random Tinder date. See, Heather, I don't know how your night went, but that's what happened to me."

"Oh my goodness," she whispered. "That's awful."

"I'm sure that's not what-" Michael began uneasily.

"It is." I smiled wider. "You wouldn't really know, of course, it's not like you were there. But that's definitely what happened."

"A donut will cheer you up," he decided, then turned and slammed the bathroom door behind him.

Heather picked up the bag and carried it over to me, then sat down and placed it tentatively on the bed next to me. I rolled onto my side and stared at them for a good ten seconds, begging myself to remain strong and not give in, but eventually reached over and snatched the first jelly one I could spot.

Heather gave me an encouraging smile like I was a dying dog she was trying to feed a scrap of meat.

"So," I said as I took a huge bite out of the donut. "How did you meet the love of your life?"

"I was sitting in that little coffee shop in town when I saw him walk in. I was too shy to go up to him at first... I mean..." She blushed down at her lap. "Why would he want to talk to me..."

I narrowed my eyes.

"He sat at the table next to me. I smiled at him, and after a bit we just started talking. Every couple of days he'd be back and we'd talk again. I think those were the best moments of my life."